Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

differnt (non) cv axels in older subarus

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tailgatewagon

tailgatewagon

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,058 posts
  • Bozeman, MT

Posted 06 March 2005 - 01:47 AM

ok some of the early subarus 75-76ish 4x4 had differnt rear axels they were not cvs but an independant rear end with small drive lines to each wheel.
they have ujoints on each end

could they be stronger then cvs...?????

#2 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

Sick in the Head 4 Subaru

• Members
  • 706 posts
  • Atascadero

Posted 06 March 2005 - 10:59 AM

possibly... but I dont think it would work on our babys without modefying the suspension, or getting drivelines that had some sort of plunge joint or splines that collapesed under jounce and rebound. The torsion spring allows the supsension in the rear to go up and down with very little outward/inward movement. Also keep in mind you can abuse the heck out of which way you pull those CV joints, where as Ujoint drivelines you want to offset at 5 degrees, 7 degrees at most if you keep your speed down.

Another thing to think about is that plunge joints are just ujoints with only 3 connecting points, and they can slide freely back and forth in the joint.

Datsuns used Ujoint setups in the rear with the exact same R160 differentials. Maybe if you just got the whole suspension setup out of the back of a 240Z or something?

#3 tailgatewagon

tailgatewagon

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,058 posts
  • Bozeman, MT

Posted 06 March 2005 - 11:28 AM

let me clairify.

this must be the same setup you are talking about,

the older subys had the same diff but with a stub axle that was also a yoke on the other end. then on the wheel side there is a 4 bolt pattern to bolt the axel in...

they also have a splined section in them that can compress and rebound in the center of each drive line..... anyway ill take pix and post them as soon as i get back to the yard.

#4 Ross

Ross

Can't be bothered

• Members
  • 1,865 posts
  • Christchurch, New Zealand

Posted 06 March 2005 - 11:51 PM

My haynes manual states that '82 (yes, only 82!) 4wds used u joints.
It does seem pointless to use cvs on a rear axle when the two joint angles are always approximately equal, but they probably last much longer.

#5 tailgatewagon

tailgatewagon

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,058 posts
  • Bozeman, MT

Posted 06 March 2005 - 11:53 PM

hum that weiard as ive never seen any on any ea81 vehicles but ive seen alot on 76 77s, hum and a few on 74-74s as i said i should have pix by the morrow.

#6 Sweet82

Sweet82

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,266 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 08 March 2005 - 06:17 PM

Something's wrong here...

I've got an '82 and it has the original CV's on the back not D/L's...

The only D/L on that machine is from the tranny to the diff. :confused:

I'm thinkin the manual is wrong :confused:

Glenn
82 SubaruHummer
01 Forester

#7 Ross

Ross

Can't be bothered

• Members
  • 1,865 posts
  • Christchurch, New Zealand

Posted 08 March 2005 - 08:48 PM