Ultimate Subaru Message Board

differnt (non) cv axels in older subarus

tailgatewagon

possibly... but I dont think it would work on our babys without modefying the suspension, or getting drivelines that had some sort of plunge joint or splines that collapesed under jounce and rebound. The torsion spring allows the supsension in the rear to go up and down with very little outward/inward movement. Also keep in mind you can abuse the heck out of which way you pull those CV joints, where as Ujoint drivelines you want to offset at 5 degrees, 7 degrees at most if you keep your speed down.

Another thing to think about is that plunge joints are just ujoints with only 3 connecting points, and they can slide freely back and forth in the joint.

Datsuns used Ujoint setups in the rear with the exact same R160 differentials. Maybe if you just got the whole suspension setup out of the back of a 240Z or something?

let me clairify.

this must be the same setup you are talking about,

the older subys had the same diff but with a stub axle that was also a yoke on the other end. then on the wheel side there is a 4 bolt pattern to bolt the axel in...

they also have a splined section in them that can compress and rebound in the center of each drive line..... anyway ill take pix and post them as soon as i get back to the yard.

My haynes manual states that '82 (yes, only 82!) 4wds used u joints.

It does seem pointless to use cvs on a rear axle when the two joint angles are always approximately equal, but they probably last much longer.

Something's wrong here...

I've got an '82 and it has the original CV's on the back not D/L's...

The only D/L on that machine is from the tranny to the diff. :confused:

I'm thinkin the manual is wrong :confused:

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester