Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dash light for climate control?

We've had our 97 OBW for a few months now, and I'm perplexed as to either why there is no dash light for the climate control panel, or if there is one, where the hell it is? It doesn't appear that the buttons illuminate, and I don't see a bulb anywhere near the panel. Is this a design flaw, or am I just missing the obvious?

We've had our 97 OBW for a few months now, and I'm perplexed as to either why there is no dash light for the climate control panel, or if there is one, where the hell it is? It doesn't appear that the buttons illuminate, and I don't see a bulb anywhere near the panel. Is this a design flaw, or am I just missing the obvious?

The buttons are illuminaed from behind. It's a do it yourself project requiring just moderate skills and patience. Have a look at this thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2498&highlight=climate+control+lights

Been there! Girlfriend kept thinking the black plastic could not light up. $2 at radio shack for bulbs, and a few hours - what a difference! Don't bother paying the dealer for the $10 per bulb the radio shack ones work very well and last longer.

Word of caution:

Be careful with the snap ring on the steel cable for the slide heat controler. Mine shot out the door so I had to replace it from a hardware store. It was only a few cents, but several shops (like Lowe's), didn't carry them that small. Come to think of it the total time could have been < hour without part a loss.

Rude

Been there! Girlfriend kept thinking the black plastic could not light up. $2 at radio shack for bulbs, and a few hours - what a difference! Don't bother paying the dealer for the $10 per bulb the radio shack ones work very well and last longer.

Word of caution:

Be careful with the snap ring on the steel cable for the slide heat controler. Mine shot out the door so I had to replace it from a hardware store. It was only a few cents, but several shops (like Lowe's), didn't carry them that small. Come to think of it the total time could have been < hour without part a loss.

Rude

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind (the ring). While I had hoped to get to this today, things got a little hectic so it looks like this will be a project for next weekend. Can't wait to see that baby light up; it's been driving me crazy for months, and my wife says the same thing your girlfriend did!