Ultimate Subaru Message Board

weird sound from steering column

the other day i noticed a crunching sound just fromw the base of the steering wheel,were it meets up to the rest of the column.took the molding off an couldn't see anything that jumped out at me saying (hey i'm the prob) wondering if it might be the wheel locking mech or something in that area.(it's a 94 legacy wagon)

wasn't sure if anyone ever had same prob,any suggestions on what to check would be appreciated thanks.

p.s. beside the crunching noise,at times steering is stiff until i hear a pop then it's ok.

Sounds like your rack is not in such great shape. Check the pinion boots - are they torn? I know this is lower down, but it might be causing problems along the way up to the column.

the other day i noticed a crunching sound just fromw the base of the steering wheel,were it meets up to the rest of the column.took the molding off an couldn't see anything that jumped out at me saying (hey i'm the prob) wondering if it might be the wheel locking mech or something in that area.(it's a 94 legacy wagon)

wasn't sure if anyone ever had same prob,any suggestions on what to check would be appreciated thanks.

p.s. beside the crunching noise,at times steering is stiff until i hear a pop then it's ok.

I've had the blinker "return" mechanism get hung up before, but that is usually pretty easy to spot. Like said before, either the rack or possibly something in the upper column bushing (dirt, etc.). Losing your steering can be a bad thing... hope you get it fixed!

gonna have to check out the blinker thing cause the day it started to make the noise i had trouble with the left blinker(need to put left on to start car,some type of anti-thief devise put on by prev owner) sat there for about 20 mins tring to get it to start,finally did an then CRUNCH!! will let you know what it was.

• 2 weeks later...
I've had the blinker "return" mechanism get hung up before, but that is usually pretty easy to spot. Like said before, either the rack or possibly something in the upper column bushing (dirt, etc.). Losing your steering can be a bad thing... hope you get it fixed!

turns out there was a piece of plastic getting caught up in there,took plastic covers off an had to do a little plastic welding on the crack.haven't heard the same sound,just sounds like plastic rubbing now.

thanks for the suggestions on what to look for,both of ya.