Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engines an' trannys an' parts Oh MY...

Hello fellow suby owners. Id just like to say Damn I love my Subaru. Okay down to business. I have a 1991 Legacy AWD L sedan. I want to change the engine cuz the miles are gettin up there (306,000) though it still beats ************ Tiburons and Cavalier Z24's fine...lol...Tranny makes noise too, its been said to be a bearing or sumthin, loud whining noise...So im thinkin to change both. What year and model of suby can I get and engine and tranny from that would be compatible with my legacy. For instance, I know a guy who pulled out his 2.5 engine and tranny out of his 1995 impreza and got it all STi'd out. Damn that car is fast. Would his stuff be good in my car?....and whatelse?...years and models....thanks you guys, youre always a help....

Rob

You might stand a good chance of getting decent, lo-mi "heart and lungs" from a disposed '93-96 Leg. Those still used the 2.2 liter engine although I am not so certain of the tranny compatability. I would be a bit cautious before overpowering your wheels with a 2.5-liter powerplant.