Ultimate Subaru Message Board

why do I have to push pedal to the floor for starting??

in order to start my 86 GL10 turbo in the morning, I have to push the pedal to the floor to start it immediately(if I don't hold the pedal down it will take much longer..once it warms up you will only have to touch the key and it fires up...could this be the coolant sensor or is it something else...I am open to all ideas

My 87 RX is like that. I removed the auxillary air valve. If i dont hold the pedal about half way it tries to start right away and then continues cranking. Then i have to hold the pedal to the floor to get it to start. When it is warm there is no problem. I think your auxillary air valve is out of adjustment or not working.

any idea where the auxillary air valve might be located on an 86 loyale mpfi turbo..........

My 87 RX is like that. I removed the auxillary air valve. If i dont hold the pedal about half way it tries to start right away and then continues cranking. Then i have to hold the pedal to the floor to get it to start. When it is warm there is no problem. I think your auxillary air valve is out of adjustment or not working.

yes, when I start it up... revs at about 1600-1800 until it warms up and then stays fairly stable at 800 and at times it will shake at the idle even though there is no change in the idle speed

Hey Peter----Do you also find it idles too fast at times before it's completely warmed up?

Temp sensor would be my educated guess. Not the guage sending unit but the sensor for setting cold and warm start. The ECU uses this sensor for setting fuel mixture and such.

my experience with a bas ecu temp sensor is the car would run fine when cold, but once she warmed up the car would run like crap, and if it were stalled it would have to sit for a good half hour before it would start again

this part cross references with nissan 240 sx if you cant find a listing for subaru. get the brown top version

yes, when I start it up... revs at about 1600-1800 until it warms up and then stays fairly stable at 800 and at times it will shake at the idle even though there is no change in the idle speed

Hey Peter----The idle revs should drop steadily from the 1600-1800 in the 5 to 6 minutes it takes to warm up. High idle revs during that time can indicate a bad temp sensor. I'd also expect a stored diagnostic trouble code for the temp sensor in the ECU. roy:)