Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 outback with starter problems

My 97 Outback has starter problems, I replaced the starter about 16 months ago with a new starter(not a rebuild) and have started to have the same problems that led me to changing the starter last time. Any suggestions as what the problem is? :rolleyes::confused:

My 97 Outback has starter problems, I replaced the starter about 16 months ago with a new starter(not a rebuild) and have started to have the same problems that led me to changing the starter last time. Any suggestions as what the problem is? :rolleyes::confused:

And what is this «same problem»?

It won't start first thing in the morning and after a long period of rest between starts. :-\

People here will need more details to help you. What exactly happens when you try to start? Engine turns over but does not start? Starter does'nt turn but your hear a click coming from the starter's solenoid under the hood? You hear a click coming from under the dash somewhere? You hear nothing at all?

If you hear a click but do not know exactly where it is coming from, next time the car does'nt start, open the hood and have someone put an ear near the starter to pinpoint the source of the click.

Best I can do right now. Give us some more detail and wait for more help.

It won't start first thing in the morning and after a long period of rest between starts. :-\

If the ground connection is weak or loose you will wear the brass contacts in the starter. I had this trouble with the Trooper... replaced the starter & it happened all over again.... took it in to an auto electrical tester... found a loose ground, & I replaced the contact in the starter (bought an extra for ~a buck) & have never had to use the spare... never had another problem. It was that simple... not easy just simple.

Later,

Peter

battery? alternator?

and yes, we need more of a detailed description to diagnose.

good luck!

Jamie

Turned the key and got a 'click.' Starter motor was silent. After several attempts, car suddenly started up as if nothing is wrong. Will have no problem with repeated attempts after getting the car to start and run. The new starter I had replaced last winter is still under warrantee and is being replaced for now, but not sure if this will solve the problem, mechanic is not sure if that is the problem either as he can not get the car to mimic the problem at the garage. My alarm system(Code Alarm) is also acting strange.

:-\ :banghead: