Ultimate Subaru Message Board

When I start my car in the morning it will smoke for 30 seconds and then clear up. It not using very much oil maybe a quart in 2500 - 3000 miles. Could this come from the turbo?

Also when I get on it hard and it gets up to 5000 - 6000 rpm it will cut out before I shift to next gear. It has new plugs filter and wires on the car. I am not sure what boost it is producing but it runs strong until it cuts out. This is forcing me to shift at 5000 rpm.

Also I am running premium fuel in the car but when I get on it still pings. I was thinking that an intercooler would solve this problem or do I have to but in octane booster? I am going to put in a WRX intercooler when I find the time.

One other problem is when starting it when it is cold it idles very low 500 rpm rather than higher. Once warmed up it idles @ 700.

Another problem I have is the other day my car was behind my wife's 93 LS and she wanted to go to the store. She wanted me to back out my car so I told her to just take mine. She now wants to trade cars because the turbo was so much fun to drive.

By the way the car is a 94 turbo sedan with a 5 speed.

cjt

When I start my car in the morning it will smoke for 30 seconds and then clear up. It not using very much oil maybe a quart in 2500 - 3000 miles. Could this come from the turbo?

Also when I get on it hard and it gets up to 5000 - 6000 rpm it will cut out before I shift to next gear. It has new plugs filter and wires on the car. I am not sure what boost it is producing but it runs strong until it cuts out. This is forcing me to shift at 5000 rpm.

Also I am running premium fuel in the car but when I get on it still pings. I was thinking that an intercooler would solve this problem or do I have to but in octane booster? I am going to put in a WRX intercooler when I find the time.

One other problem is when starting it when it is cold it idles very low 500 rpm rather than higher. Once warmed up it idles @ 700.

Another problem I have is the other day my car was behind my wife's 93 LS and she wanted to go to the store. She wanted me to back out my car so I told her to just take mine. She now wants to trade cars because the turbo was so much fun to drive.

By the way the car is a 94 turbo sedan with a 5 speed.

cjt

Only the first 30 seconds sounds weird. But I like the idea of the wrx intercooler not sure as to how you would make that fit. But if you do get that done let the board know and bring some pics;) . I wanna put an intercooler on my 91 legacy if possible.

Hi Josh

How did everything work on your transmission conversion? Hopefully you got all the parts that you needed. Those 5 speed turbos are hard to find in a junk yard for parts.

The turbo has 143000 miles on it gets around 23 mpg. Which includes highway and in town but mostly in town driving. I haven't checked compression on it. I was thinking about doing that but just haven't done it yet. The car, after warming up, does run strong. It just cuts out at higher rpm's and that is only if you are on it all the way.

cjt

More than likely its the valve stem seals leaking. The oil just gets through and your engine burns it up when you start it.

It wouldn't be your turbo leaking because the exhaust would be to cold to burn it for a while.

Do a compression test. Add a squirt of oil to the cylinders and then check again. If the pressure is the same, then more then likely it's the valve guides.

As for it cutting out. Only thing I can think of is that your hitting fuel cut.

Everything worked out good with the tranny swap. It's done and up and running. I've got a write-up for it, if you want to take a look.

www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/swap