Ultimate Subaru Message Board

81k miles with no "front-of-engine" service to date (original water pump, t-belt, seals, etc).

I know the unmistakable sound of a water pump on it's way out, but I'm used to hearing it while standing at the front of the vehicle (at least with V8's of past).

Anyway, I'm hearing THAT water pump sound while I'm inside my '00 OBS, but not while standing out in front of the car. The noise isn't affected at all by the clutch pedal position, so that eliminates the tranny or throwout bearing as the culprit.

Question: Can any seasoned Sube owners or mechanics verify that a near-dead water pump would be audible inside the vehicle?

Mine was making a squeaking, almost loose belt squealing sound, but it wouldn't constantly do it. One day I was driving along and bam! it blew up. Then I had to get towed 30 miles (thanks AAA). My bad for not getting it checked out when I should have and going on a trip.

Yup, my 90 Legacy 2.2 sounded like the old perverbial 'coffee percolator'.

REPLACE IT ASAP...Mine only made that noise for 3 days before seizing up on the interstate. I had the new pump and timing belt in my garage. Was going to do it the next weekend (2 days away). After it seized, the timing belt SQUEELED in pain as it overheated and broke.......Had it flatbedded to my home and repaired it. Lots of black belt soot everwhere.

For the 2.2, this was not deadly, For the 2.5, it is.

Thanks jamal & ferret. I'll just park it till warmer weather gets here.

I was planning on doing the whole "front-engine" service this summer anyway.

One last question: Pull the fans and radiator to open up some elbow room for working in that area? Just the fans? What?

Water Pump is driven from the backside of the belt (smooth side). Mine seized and the back of the belt slide over the pump. Engine temp started to climb, then engine died (Belt broke). No leaks.....just seized.

Idler pullies on mine were fine, pump was still seized after I took it all apart. That was in 1992. Since then, each timing belt replacement included a water pump and idler check. I've only replaced 1 suspect idler I would not have trusted to make it to the next service.