Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello All!

This is my first post and I wanted to thankyou for helping with the O2 sensor info. Replaced that myself and now have better fuel efficency!

Just the other day my ABS light went on and when I turn off the car the ABS motor doesn't stop running. I unpluged the battery for 15mins. and when I reconnected it the motor came on again. So, I disconnected the ABS plug and am stuped on what to do next. The manual says to take it to a tech to get the code on it. Has this happen to anyone else? Ideas?

Thanks in advance-

David

95 LW Manual with 168k and going strong...

There's a TSB that says this symptom may be caused by a sticking ABS motor relay, and if so the relay should be replaced with an updated part.

What does TSB mean? How can I check if that realy does not work? Some one else here offered a '96 ABS unit to sell me. Is the relay seperate from the unit or is it all one piece.

Thanks for your help as I am a newbee here-

David

This has happened a couple of times on my '92. In the engine compartment you will find a fuse box which contains the relay. Remove the relay for a few minutes and plug it back in. This worked for me. I don't know if the thing gets hot or exactly why it wants to act up and I suppose that one of these days I should pick up a new relay, just haven't done it yet.

I've discovered problem with my ABS even though my ABS light wasn't on. I discovered that because I mixed up 6th pin with 5th pin on a diagnostic connector

darn... I can't find how to attach files with description of the procedure and codes.... will report later...

REVISED: HERE

you can grab an ABS.rar file which contains necessary manuals. I'm sorry I don't remember where I got them but I recall that one of the subaru forums has all of them somewhere... mah be even USMB

"TSB" is a technical service bulletin, those are sent to dealers. To check the relay you can measure the voltage at the coil. If there's no voltage but the pump motor's running, the relay is stuck. The relay is one of the two under the black cover next to the hydro unit. It's probably easier just to buy the "ABS motor relay" and swap it. Chances are, it'll fix the problem.

What does TSB mean? How can I check if that realy does not work? Some one else here offered a '96 ABS unit to sell me. Is the relay seperate from the unit or is it all one piece.

Thanks for your help as I am a newbee here-

David