Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 flywheel differences

are all ea82 4wd flywheels and pressure plates the same? or do they vary in thickness? or depth? is it possible to put the wrong ones together to where they wouldn't mate up, or the other extreme to where they wouldnt clamp down on the clutch disc?

As far as I know all of the ea82 flywheels are the same. The pressure plates are different in that the springs are stiffer from the n/a and turbo, BUT the spline counts are all the same. You can mix and match them without any worries. I had a turbo clutch disc with a n/a carbbed flywheel and pressure plate on my project junker and it worked fine.

I am also going to use a turbo disc, and pressure plate when I do my D/R conversion on my 87 gl10.

A possibility, but requires a ...hmmmm... less than adequate machinist. When the flywheel is surfaced, the machinist needs to machine both the clutch surface and the top surface of the flywheel, maintaining a certain specified depth of the step.

I have had one flywheel surfaced to the wrong step depth, and another that was not surfaced flat, but rather dished due to a worn cutter.

Also, over the years I have had problems getting the right clutch parts from parts houses (NAPA, C/S/K, et al).

EDIT: This is with your EA81 engine and EA82 tranny? END EDIT

none of the parts have been machined

and yes, its an ea81 engine with an ea82 trans.

the clutch disc itself is fine, not very thin or anything. The pressure plate is from an 85 GL wagon, the flywheel I think is from an XT

A possibility, but requires a ...hmmmm... less than adequate machinist. When the flywheel is surfaced, the machinist needs to machine both the clutch surface and the top surface of the flywheel, maintaining a certain specified depth of the step.

I have had one flywheel surfaced to the wrong step depth, and another that was not surfaced flat, but rather dished due to a worn cutter.

Also, over the years I have had problems getting the right clutch parts from parts houses (NAPA, C/S/K, et al).

EDIT: This is with your EA81 engine and EA82 tranny? END EDIT