Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Stock Tranny Weak?!?!?!?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 A_DuB

A_DuB

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Leavenworth

Posted 08 March 2005 - 08:16 PM

While reading a guest book on another Subaru legacy related website I came across this statement.

"FYI the manual tranny's cant handle even the stock power..so if your going to beef one up it needs to be the auto"

Does anyone know if this guy is just talkin out his @$$ or do i need to upgrade the tranny before I do any performance Mods. Doesn't make sense to me that Subaru would make a car to powerful for its own transmission.

#2 TheBrian

TheBrian

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 270 posts
  • Buffalo

Posted 08 March 2005 - 09:40 PM

There's tons of Subaru MTs out there with well over 100k miles on them. The stock trannies are perfectly adequate to stock power and ordinary driving.

My guess is this guy dropped the clutch from redline and shattered his transmission. I've read that 2WD cars can cope with such by smoking the tires, but in AWD cars, the shock must be absorbed by the driveline.

#3 subarubrat

subarubrat

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,208 posts
  • Bealeton, VA

Posted 08 March 2005 - 11:36 PM

2nd gear can be broken at above 250Hp by slammming it just right. With sane shifting methods this tranny has been proven solid up to 300Hp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users