Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

its official, I'm retarded

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Roobaflu

Roobaflu

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • Hicksville

Posted 08 March 2005 - 08:50 PM

Well, I'm sorry for all the confusion the last few days, I feel REALLY stupid about the reason for it, I'm afraid to say actually. I had assumed that the guy I bought my parts car from was telling me the truth, told me the clutch was good, that he was driving on it. Well, when I assembled it all it wouldnt work, the problem you all read about. So I figured I'd try to find a number on the parts and try to trace it to make sure. Several board members said the only explanation was that I was using the wrong parts, I pulled them out of an ea82, so I figured, they were ea82, but when I went looking for a part number I found something else, the word NISSAN stamped on them instead :[ its obvious now that the car was never driven with that clutch in it. This is what I get for trusting people. This is the same guy that told me the rear struts were great and they were totally shot, told me the axles and brakes were great, but I have either a bad axle or a bad rotor on the right front, I'll get it up in the air tomorrow and find out, also told me that the pedal box was complete and I had to fabricate all the mounts for the clutch pedal. Thanks again to Tom for the pics and measurements. So the tranny is IN and functional. Thanks to Tom for the clutch and pressure plate, Miles for the flywheel and all the help, and to all of you for your patience and encouragement

#2 northguy

northguy

O.C.A.L. Life Member

• Members
  • 4,352 posts
  • Chugiak, AK

Posted 08 March 2005 - 08:57 PM

Just advvance the timing a few degrees.:grin:

#3 Roobaflu

Roobaflu

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • Hicksville

Posted 08 March 2005 - 09:11 PM

why?

#4 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 08 March 2005 - 09:13 PM

See your "title" on this thread. :)

#5 Roobaflu

Roobaflu

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • Hicksville

Posted 08 March 2005 - 09:27 PM

See your "title" on this thread. :)

OH MY GOD, LMAO see I am retarded, that was hilarious

#6 PoorManzImpreza

PoorManzImpreza

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 546 posts
  • BARBADOS

Posted 08 March 2005 - 10:18 PM

LMAO we all need to advance our timing a little..

#7 Dr. RX

Dr. RX

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 9,984 posts
  • Sammamish, WA

Posted 09 March 2005 - 07:53 AM

Well, I'm sorry for all the confusion the last few days, I feel REALLY stupid about the reason for it, I'm afraid to say actually. I had assumed that the guy I bought my parts car from was telling me the truth, told me the clutch was good, that he was driving on it. Well, when I assembled it all it wouldnt work, the problem you all read about. So I figured I'd try to find a number on the parts and try to trace it to make sure. Several board members said the only explanation was that I was using the wrong parts, I pulled them out of an ea82, so I figured, they were ea82, but when I went looking for a part number I found something else, the word NISSAN stamped on them instead :[ its obvious now that the car was never driven with that clutch in it. This is what I get for trusting people. This is the same guy that told me the rear struts were great and they were totally shot, told me the axles and brakes were great, but I have either a bad axle or a bad rotor on the right front, I'll get it up in the air tomorrow and find out, also told me that the pedal box was complete and I had to fabricate all the mounts for the clutch pedal. Thanks again to Tom for the pics and measurements. So the tranny is IN and functional. Thanks to Tom for the clutch and pressure plate, Miles for the flywheel and all the help, and to all of you for your patience and encouragement

It sound like it might have been wrong parts, but just because you found something that said Nissan on it doesn't mean it is the wrong part. In fact Nissan and Subaru make a lot of parts for each other, I even have some Subaru factory installed Mitsubishi made parts on my Impreza, this is not an uncommon thing with Japanese cars.

#8 RavenTBK

RavenTBK

Professional Auto Thief

• Members
  • 661 posts
  • Apalachicola Natl Forest

Posted 09 March 2005 - 08:12 AM

Yep.. the Japanese auto makers like to whore themselves out to each other every now and then just to keep things interesting. ;)

Another common shared item is the rear end.. EA81/82 rear diffs are the same as the Nissan R160 (Datsun 510). I'm not aware of any clutches of the EAxx era that are shared.. :-\

#9 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 09 March 2005 - 09:18 AM

xt6 alternators are stamped dsm, and have the mistubishi diamonds on the case.
my key, and ignition say "for nissan only" on it.

my throughout bearing is a nissan pickup part, made by nachi.

i resently had trouble with an assumed good clutch, glad you got it figured out now

#10 Bratenstein

Bratenstein

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Dallas

Posted 09 March 2005 - 10:22 AM

Yeah, my ignition switch is from a Nissan, and the key blanks fit the Subaru door locks. Probably the common denominator is a shared manufacturer between parent companies.

#11 All_talk

All_talk

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,093 posts
  • Thorp (Ellensburg)

Posted 09 March 2005 - 10:42 AM

In the case of Subaru and Nissan/Datsun they share the same parent company... FHI.

Gary

#12 Sweet82

Sweet82

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,266 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 09 March 2005 - 10:45 AM

My fuel pump control unit is a Mitsubushi with a Subaru part number stamped on top of it.

#13 Roobaflu

Roobaflu

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • Hicksville

Posted 09 March 2005 - 12:44 PM

the nissan clutch hub had a different offset that hit the flywheel and pushed the clutch back

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users