Ultimate Subaru Message Board

its official, I'm retarded

Well, I'm sorry for all the confusion the last few days, I feel REALLY stupid about the reason for it, I'm afraid to say actually. I had assumed that the guy I bought my parts car from was telling me the truth, told me the clutch was good, that he was driving on it. Well, when I assembled it all it wouldnt work, the problem you all read about. So I figured I'd try to find a number on the parts and try to trace it to make sure. Several board members said the only explanation was that I was using the wrong parts, I pulled them out of an ea82, so I figured, they were ea82, but when I went looking for a part number I found something else, the word NISSAN stamped on them instead :[ its obvious now that the car was never driven with that clutch in it. This is what I get for trusting people. This is the same guy that told me the rear struts were great and they were totally shot, told me the axles and brakes were great, but I have either a bad axle or a bad rotor on the right front, I'll get it up in the air tomorrow and find out, also told me that the pedal box was complete and I had to fabricate all the mounts for the clutch pedal. Thanks again to Tom for the pics and measurements. So the tranny is IN and functional. Thanks to Tom for the clutch and pressure plate, Miles for the flywheel and all the help, and to all of you for your patience and encouragement

Well, I'm sorry for all the confusion the last few days, I feel REALLY stupid about the reason for it, I'm afraid to say actually. I had assumed that the guy I bought my parts car from was telling me the truth, told me the clutch was good, that he was driving on it. Well, when I assembled it all it wouldnt work, the problem you all read about. So I figured I'd try to find a number on the parts and try to trace it to make sure. Several board members said the only explanation was that I was using the wrong parts, I pulled them out of an ea82, so I figured, they were ea82, but when I went looking for a part number I found something else, the word NISSAN stamped on them instead :[ its obvious now that the car was never driven with that clutch in it. This is what I get for trusting people. This is the same guy that told me the rear struts were great and they were totally shot, told me the axles and brakes were great, but I have either a bad axle or a bad rotor on the right front, I'll get it up in the air tomorrow and find out, also told me that the pedal box was complete and I had to fabricate all the mounts for the clutch pedal. Thanks again to Tom for the pics and measurements. So the tranny is IN and functional. Thanks to Tom for the clutch and pressure plate, Miles for the flywheel and all the help, and to all of you for your patience and encouragement
It sound like it might have been wrong parts, but just because you found something that said Nissan on it doesn't mean it is the wrong part. In fact Nissan and Subaru make a lot of parts for each other, I even have some Subaru factory installed Mitsubishi made parts on my Impreza, this is not an uncommon thing with Japanese cars.

Yep.. the Japanese auto makers like to whore themselves out to each other every now and then just to keep things interesting. ;)

Another common shared item is the rear end.. EA81/82 rear diffs are the same as the Nissan R160 (Datsun 510). I'm not aware of any clutches of the EAxx era that are shared.. :-\

xt6 alternators are stamped dsm, and have the mistubishi diamonds on the case.

my key, and ignition say "for nissan only" on it.

my throughout bearing is a nissan pickup part, made by nachi.

i resently had trouble with an assumed good clutch, glad you got it figured out now