Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TPS Questions for my RX

I heard this thing is located on the throttlebody of my EA82T. I looked around, but couldnt find it. Didnt have alot of time, and the engine was hot so i couldnt look too closely. I was thinking about adjusting mine, but still not sure what to do here. How will I know when the adjustment is right?

-Brian

I just so happened to have my intake manifold a few feet from me and a digital camera in the drawer next to me. I hope this might help you out a bit:D

216P1010006.JPG

As far as adjustment, the FSM for it should have a spec in it to tell you what the voltage should be at idle. If its not right, loosen the TPS and basically 'time' is with your car. You'll need to figure out which is the signal wire and which one is ground and then use a DVOM while the car is running and the TPS is still plugged in to find the voltage of the signal.

caboobaroo is right on. thats the way to do it. but why? I mean thay dont get out of adjustment on thier own. usually the only reason to mess with it is if someone else screwed it up or you are changing one out. and no I never touched it on that car.;)

what problem are you trying to chase down?

I got some major hesitation. My car seems to not respond to the throttle as it did before. ALso my idle has become very erratic, and if I accelerate from a stop the car kinda bogs until the throttle is pushed past 1/2way, then it kicks into action and takes off.

I thought maybe the TPS could be out of whack, was going to adjust it a tad and try to troubleshoot the problem.

-Brian

The TPS may have dirty contacts. You may want to place an ohmmeter across the the wiper contact and the ground contact and then see how smooth the reading is as you move the throttle. Using an analog meter will be better for this if you have one available. If the contacts are bad, the reading will be erratic. You could try cleaning the contacts if you can get to them. You may have to replace the TPS also.

you can clean it if you get it apart and back together in one piece. iv never tried my self as its easyer to just change out a bad TPS.

I have a really good graphing meter that would test it real easy. if you want to get this old DP from me some day I would be happy to test it for you.

Russ, maybe I'll try to find a day to drive down there.

PM me with your addy so I can see how far of a drive it is.

I put my cone filter on today, and i can notice an increase in acceleration, it seems to climb above 4k alot easier. I inspected the connection for the TPS, and everything looked good. I think i'll try to clean it, or order a new one.

-Brian

Hesitations on turbo cars can be directly related to timing, vacuum leaks and carbon build up in the hoses. A good tune with quality parts will help. You'll need to play with the timing a bit too. Also, go through ALL the black hoses on the engine. Look for hard, brittle and cracked ones. Replace as neccessary, most if not all are available through the dealer. You will have to pay a little to eliminate this problem. I'd also look into a new PCV valve(OEM).Do not "tweek" the TPS. Especially, if you do not have the right equipment. Clean the contacts if you must but adjustment of this is not neccessary.

Thanks Ken. I didnt want to adjust it, so i left it alone today. I did check the vacuum hose that feeds my Boos guage, and its main line was very brittle at the end, and cracked when I removed it. I cut the hose clean, and was able to re-install it, but I think replacement of them all will be neccessary.

I also removed the hose that leads to my PCV, in order to access the TPS wiring easier, and there is alot of buildup.

Is there anything I can use to clean the crap out of the line? Hose I can replace, but I'd like to clean out the plastic sections and re-use them.

Timing was something I wanted to do today, but I had to replace my mothers alternator on her '01 OBS. I'll have to wait until Sunday to do the timing.

-Brian

Do you have a vac guage? a good vac on ea82t is around -20psi can't rmember what that is in Hg's. What sort of condition is your header in? They have a habit of cracking and breaking right underneath the flange the turbo sits on. Hard to listen for unless it's a compete break, but it really screws your performance off the line up to about 3-4000rpm.