Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gear Shift release button is tempermental

I have a 99 Legacy L wagon, 30th Anniversary edition with 85,000 miles. The automatic gear shift release button won't work in cold weather without me playing with it a bit. Is this a common problem? Can it be repaired and what is involved with repairing it?

I do press the brake all the way, it does click. But it still is so stubborn. I will take a look at the manual.

Thanks for the help!

Are you pressing the brake down all the way? If you press the brake and don't hear a "click" (or do) coming by the gearshift, then read the owners manual for a description of how to manually override the shift interlock switch.

Good luck!

Kevin

I have done that too! My mechanic says the tranny is in good shape; that being an older car, the shift release sometimes is difficult. I was told just to play with it (what a pain). Yesterday, I couldn't get it to release until the car had warmed up for 15 minutes ( it was in the 20's in N. VA).

Thanks for the advice.

Sometimes I have to nudge it forward into PARK a bit harder and then press the button. I replaced the tranny on mine and I think I need to go back into the shift area and make an adjustment.

I would never wait that long just to get it out of PARK. If you look down where the shift lever meets the console there is either a red button or a hole with a philips screw in it. If you are lucky and have the red button just press it and the shift lever will be unlocked. If you have the screw, just back it out and stick the screwdriver in the hole, this will do the same thing. I put buttons on my cars that didn't have them. It takes about 10 mins to install the button, you need a flat screwdriver, a philips screwdriver and a 10MM wrench. (I have an extra one for sale, $10 delivered)