Ultimate Subaru Message Board

94 Legacy abrupt misbehaviors....

It's too cold and no time to lift up the Soob, but I think I have just had a fairly sudden inner engine "event"....my 150,600 mile 2.2 l motor just suddenly became difficult to start first thing in the morning...acts like it's flooded, that kind of thing...then after 3 tries, it starts with a slow-to-react wind up, then after about 30 seconds, it's idling fairly normally.

On the highway, which is where I drive right off the bat at 6:30-7:00am, it's fine and like normal....except it is obviously leaking/using oil, because I smell it when I come to a slowdown near the end of my 30-minute commute...and I park the car, I notice the burnt oil smell.

Now, a quick visual shows me oiliness on the pass side valve cover area, which is not normal....my driver's side valve cover/oil filler tube area has always been kinda greasy, but I'm thinking I have done something.

Maybe I swallowed a valve? Valve seal? or just blew out a valve cover gasket? Either way it goes, I'm obviously dealing with oily spark plugs somewhere....least, I'm thinking this is why it's harder to start when cold, but easier when warm.

And the engine performance/visible exhaust etc is fine, normal power, no dirty smoky exhaust when driving....but a puff of blue/black (oil) at start-up (which never happened before this past week).....

OK, I know I'm grasping at straws until I have the time/area/mental focus to lift the car and evaluate....but what recommendations does anyone have?

What types of tests should I do? FYI the only repairs I've had to do recently are knock sensor and O2 sensor replacement....they were OE, and they finally threw codes this winter.

Thanks! (BTW been driving for some thousands of miles in a 4EAT AWD tranny fused to FWD due to torque-bind...and the car drives fine this way)....

Thanks, Cougar....you're right, basic inspection stuff, soon as I get time off from work (those pesky 3rd graders!) I'll be checking the Soob out this weekend.

And a simple engine vacuum leak might just be what it is all about....that would be sweet....I'm not dreaming, though....

Also in addtion to the regular tune up stuff I would pull the codes and see if there is something in addtion to the Leaky Oil issue. Kinda sounds like you might be missing on Injector 1? Or maybe on your other injectors is bad. Hopes this advise is helpful.

Just got a 2nd Subaru, 93 Legacy 2.2 190K miles, on cold starts (30-35F outside) it cranks but doesnt always start unless I hold accelerator to floor. Other than that, runs great. On GM MPFI holding accelerator to floor while cranking is flood clearing mode, where does diagnostics start for this?