Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Most i can do for 1000$ for Forester

Decker_Forester

What can i do for 1000$ dollars, to best improve my offroad ability in my 99 forester s(auto). Its basicly stock right now, a set of Hella 500's on the grill and new ironman 2 inch lift springs. What is best? body lift, skid plates, bumpers, LSD??? I live in Mexico right now in the mountians so its all dirt and rock basicly.

Thanks Everyone, Ben

A LSD will do wonders if you can locate one. Should cost around $300 at most, unless you can find a deal on one.

Its too bad you have an auto, a 5spd would have been a better choice... take the remaining money you have and buy some good tires. Maybe a decent BFG All terrain or Mud Terrain tire.

-Brian

I recall not too long ago Mudrat (I think) was talking about importing a dual range 5 speed, LSD, lift, etc, for around $1000.

Might try a search in this forum for his username and see what comes up.

edit: found it http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=240813&postcount=4

No it would cost allot more than a $1000 to import a Forester Dual-range. Mudrat is taking ea82 dualranges and making adapter plates to fit the EJ engines. I'm currently working with Mudrat on doing that to my Forester. And it's going to be more than $1000 once it's finished.

If you don't have Mud terrain tires already. Get those first. but Tire size will be determined by what kind and type of lift you get though. I thought you already had a 2" Suspension Lift. If you go with a lift get a Suspension lift and not a Body Lift. You won't gain any Ground Clearence with a Body Lift. A front Sump Gaurd is a good idea. your front Oil Sump is very Vulnerable. I already put a dent in mine as well as the gas tank. I haven't seen any Gas tank skid plates for Foresters Though. I do have a Rear Diff Gaurd that was a dealer installed option. It is real strong. I've probably saved my diff because of that. I have scrapes on it but no dents. Heavy duty bumpers is a good idea too. My rear stock bumper is pretty tore up and is barely hangin in place. I can't wait tell I get enough money together to have Mudrat make me some nice bumpers for it. Maybe sooner if I have any money left after doing the dual-range swap. I wouldn't get the LSD untill you put a Dual-range in it though.

According to my 01 manual, the S model came with the rear LSD, but the L model didn't. Since Decker has an S, it should already have an LSD, so that'll knock a few hundred off your tab.

It became a standard feature in 2000 i have a 99 so i believe i dont have an LSD.....please correct me if im wrong i would love to be wrong on this one.

Thanks, Ben

It became a standard feature in 2000 i have a 99 so i believe i dont have an LSD.....please correct me if im wrong i would love to be wrong on this one.

Thanks, Ben

yea I don't think it came available till 2000. I know it wasn't available in 98 when I bought mine or I would've insisted on getting one with LSD.

I had a question....Why do none of the scorpion or any other steel bumpers have the foglights built in. I have the foglights and i want one of those bumpers sooooo where do i put them???? has anybody ever wired them to the rear bumper as reverse lights? Just an idea.

Thanks, Ben

I had a question....Why do none of the scorpion or any other steel bumpers have the foglights built in. I have the foglights and i want one of those bumpers sooooo where do i put them???? has anybody ever wired them to the rear bumper as reverse lights? Just an idea.

Thanks, Ben

Yeah I would like to see fog lights incorporated into the scorpion bumpers as well. Would also like to see receiver hitchs and tow hooks too. When Mudrat makes my bumpers. They will be a Tubular style and plan on haveing Smaller Foglights built into the bumpers. I think the Forester Fog lights are to big to put in a smaller Bumper.