Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Subaru Outback LL Bean - Shaky Idle

Greetings:

I recently purchased a 2005 Subaru Outback LL Bean with the 3.0 litre 250 hp engine. I have taken the car back twice for the idle to be checked to no avail. The car shakes most noticably when in park and less so when in drive and at a stop. The dealer's electronic/computer expert has looked at the car in-depth twice and found no problems - the engine and idle are all running within normal ranges. The service advisor (to appease my worries) sat in 2 other '05 LL Bean's and said they also had a slight stumble in idle. I am very disappointed considering this is a V6 engine (and should run very smooth as compared with other Japanese engines) and considering the car was over 30K. I am planning on installing a K&N air filter this week...HAS ANYBODY ENCOUNTERED SUCH A PROBLEM AND HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS???

Perplexed Outback Owner....

I don't think so...although they never did look into that. Can you tell me how something like that happens? I am just flabbergasted that a car with such a powerful engine that cost this much would have an idle as such - it makes the car feel like it's really cheap...

is one of the engine mounts busted?

...I am very disappointed considering this is a V6 engine (and should run very smooth as compared with other Japanese engines)....

Not to be unsympathetic to your problem, but it is not a V-6 engine -- it is a horizontally opposed engine. It is my understanding that they tend to be "rougher" than a V-type design, but I could be mistaken.

It's not just the Outback LL Bean's, it's pretty much every Subaru my friend! I think the old Subaru line is 'All Subaru's vibrate, some more than others'... I've owned 4 now and they all do to one degree or another. Sometimes resetting the ECU helps, or just get used to it as it's part of the personality of the car...

I used to own an '01 Outback LL Bean with the H6 3.0 engine and it idled very smoothly, whether in gear or in Park/Neutral. In fact, it was so smooth that sometimes I would find myself looking at the tach in order to make sure the engine was still running. This car was noticably smoother and quieter at all speeds and driving circumstances than my girlfriend's '01 Outback H4 2.5. I don't know what they have changed since '01 that would result in rough-idling engines but it doesn't sound right to me. Good luck getting it sorted out.