Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

my roof rack

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rallyruss

rallyruss

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,653 posts
  • San Jose CA

Posted 11 March 2005 - 04:13 AM

well I was going to wait till it was done but am impatient. heres the new roof rack im working on.http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4786http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4786
http://www.ultimates....php?photo=4786

#2 subaru_styles

subaru_styles

the 1st RX wagon!

• Members
  • 1,696 posts
  • OMGhi2U in da couve

Posted 11 March 2005 - 04:19 AM

i see t3h X

#3 rallyruss

rallyruss

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,653 posts
  • San Jose CA

Posted 11 March 2005 - 04:20 AM

grr. stupid pics.
its in the gallery now working on getting it here.
Posted Image
bam!

#4 gravelRX

gravelRX

Driven with both feet.

• Members
  • 885 posts
  • Roanoke, VA

Posted 11 March 2005 - 08:17 AM

I had mine attached to the outside factory mounts and it was very noisy when I hit bumps. Ended up mounting it in the gutter rails just to cut down on the noise. Driven around with it up there yet? Hope yours doesn't produce the noise mine did. I took the two middle rails off the roof, that might have been my problem, exposing such a big expanse of roof without structure to inhibit the boom.

Looks good. Quick, paint it before the rust gets to working.

Jay

#5 rallyruss

rallyruss

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,653 posts
  • San Jose CA

Posted 11 March 2005 - 12:39 PM

I had mine attached to the outside factory mounts and it was very noisy when I hit bumps. Ended up mounting it in the gutter rails just to cut down on the noise. Driven around with it up there yet? Hope yours doesn't produce the noise mine did. I took the two middle rails off the roof, that might have been my problem, exposing such a big expanse of roof without structure to inhibit the boom.

Looks good. Quick, paint it before the rust gets to working.

Jay

hmm never thought about noise. I have been running our snow boards on the factory cross bars for a while now with out a noise problem. the feet will have rubber on them too.
as for paint I am thinkin about getting it powdercoated. I painted my bumper I made and it gets torn up every time I go thru snow dirt sand ect.

Ill go put it on and drive over some speed bumps.

#6 Vanislru

Vanislru

Durka Durka!

• Members
  • 791 posts
  • Cumberland, BC

Posted 11 March 2005 - 11:05 PM

Roof rack noise seems to come from any horizontal bar you have off the roof up front. I had a rack that was maybe 5" high up front and it howled like a husky in heat when I was at highway speeds.

#7 Martin

Martin

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • Victoria, BC, Canada

Posted 11 March 2005 - 11:24 PM

Roof rack noise seems to come from any horizontal bar you have off the roof up front. I had a rack that was maybe 5" high up front and it howled like a husky in heat when I was at highway speeds.

You could always get one of those air deflectors (fairings?) to reduce noise at highway speeds and not use the bars when you dont need anything on the roof.

#8 rallyruss

rallyruss

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,653 posts
  • San Jose CA

Posted 12 March 2005 - 01:09 AM

drove around a little today and it was as if nothing was up there. did not hit the freeway yet. that will really tell. it has no attachments yet. that may change how it sounds. the deflectors work good. I think I still have one off our old jetta.

cant wait to thow my bike up there and hit the hills. I can get it all muddy and not worry about it now. or the snow boards while the last bit of snow lasts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users