Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my roof rack

I had mine attached to the outside factory mounts and it was very noisy when I hit bumps. Ended up mounting it in the gutter rails just to cut down on the noise. Driven around with it up there yet? Hope yours doesn't produce the noise mine did. I took the two middle rails off the roof, that might have been my problem, exposing such a big expanse of roof without structure to inhibit the boom.

Looks good. Quick, paint it before the rust gets to working.

Jay

I had mine attached to the outside factory mounts and it was very noisy when I hit bumps. Ended up mounting it in the gutter rails just to cut down on the noise. Driven around with it up there yet? Hope yours doesn't produce the noise mine did. I took the two middle rails off the roof, that might have been my problem, exposing such a big expanse of roof without structure to inhibit the boom.

Looks good. Quick, paint it before the rust gets to working.

Jay

hmm never thought about noise. I have been running our snow boards on the factory cross bars for a while now with out a noise problem. the feet will have rubber on them too.

as for paint I am thinkin about getting it powdercoated. I painted my bumper I made and it gets torn up every time I go thru snow dirt sand ect.

Ill go put it on and drive over some speed bumps.

Roof rack noise seems to come from any horizontal bar you have off the roof up front. I had a rack that was maybe 5" high up front and it howled like a husky in heat when I was at highway speeds.

You could always get one of those air deflectors (fairings?) to reduce noise at highway speeds and not use the bars when you dont need anything on the roof.

drove around a little today and it was as if nothing was up there. did not hit the freeway yet. that will really tell. it has no attachments yet. that may change how it sounds. the deflectors work good. I think I still have one off our old jetta.

cant wait to thow my bike up there and hit the hills. I can get it all muddy and not worry about it now. or the snow boards while the last bit of snow lasts.