Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!
|Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.
We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!
Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!
two left rear axles stuck
Posted 11 March 2005 - 08:00 AM
Whats up with this. I new at wrenching on Soobs. I took a large brass punch and smacked the crap out of them with a BFH but no luck on the left. Worked fine everywhere else.
I have not tried letting penitrating oil yet. Doubt that I can get it to work into the rusty dry splines.
By the way, that is my guess. Rusty and dry. Every place where old oil leaks have kept things messy, things slipped right apart. For some reason both cars have dry oil free drivers side rear wheel to axle joints. And they are both froze on.
Posted 11 March 2005 - 10:25 AM
Posted 11 March 2005 - 11:07 AM
Loose the punch and just tap the joint with the hammer. Hit it on the radius end and try to hit it in the direction that you want it to move in. Turn the axle a few degrees after every hit.
Thanks, that worked. I wanted the axles off the donor car for spares. Splines had a nice even coat of rust. I'll try some penetrating oil next time.
I figure that rears last quite a bit longer than fronts. What with the rear being rusted in like that I'm wonder could those be original? Twenty years? Doesn't seem possible. The '86 has well over 200 thou.
Anyway, got it off. Ruined the grease slinger, but oh well.
Posted 11 March 2005 - 01:58 PM
My first rear axle that ever got changed on my wagon was 4 years ago. IT took 3 days to get the passenger side rear axle off. And 3 bottles of Mapp Gas and and 5 lbs of propane. Lots of busted knuckles, but it'll come.
Another trick, kinda dangerous, when you get it heated up, spray some PB blaster on there. it kinda vaporizes and it helps it creep into those tight spots.
OR just swap out the whole rear suspension. take off the two trailing arm bolts, pop the inside pin on the axle, undo the strut and drop the whole assembly
Posted 11 March 2005 - 04:51 PM
sounds like you goit it but PB is magical stuff!
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users