Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Too fast fast idle, help please

My 85 NA EA82 seems to run and drive fine......but on cold start up, the fast idle is way too fast. I hav'nt let it run by itself long enough to find out if it steps down on it's own, cause it's too fast, always slap the accelerator, then it steps down fine.

What different kinds of things might be causing this?

Thanks

Pyro

mine does that to, and i also press the accelerator to drop it down, i think it is supposed to do this, something to do with the low emissions warm up i guess

you are right that it is supposed to have the high high-idle start-up, and that you have to depress the accelerator durring warm-up - it is written on a label on the driver's side door - the reason is that the Y-pipe will overheat if it is left at that high idle to warm up

you are right that it is supposed to have the high high-idle start-up, and that you have to depress the accelerator durring warm-up - it is written on a label on the driver's side door - the reason is that the Y-pipe will overheat if it is left at that high idle to warm up

Well, uh, thats----------thats inconvienient.

I'm new to Soobs, sort of, and the further I get into them, the more shall we say...idiosynchrosies, (sp) I find.

Mechanically speaking, these cars are somewhat odd.

It's as though Fuji's engeneers were quite adept at "thinking outside the box" it seems.

Oh well. Keeps things interesting.

Pyro

my high idle is the same way as well, my high idle speed is somewhere around 1800 rpm, and this really seems to stay the same no matter what you set the idle at, my slow idle is set all the way down to 500rpm now and it didnt change the high idle at all, and i let mine warm up on high idle on the really cold days for a cpl of minutes before i idle it down

My '92 Loyale had similar probs. When it was younger it would rev. to approx. 2000rpm. after 7mins. it would kick down. Recently it wouldn't kick down automatically. I cleaned air control valve rump roast'ly and replaced the coolant temp. sensor. Now she's back to normal...2000rpm on cold start-kicks down after 7mins. to 700. The bad news was no subs. in my area junkers had em. I had to buy new .(dealer $100.00 Cdn.)

good luck.

My 85 NA EA82 seems to run and drive fine......but on cold start up, the fast idle is way too fast. I hav'nt let it run by itself long enough to find out if it steps down on it's own, cause it's too fast, always slap the accelerator, then it steps down fine.

What different kinds of things might be causing this?

Thanks

Pyro