Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Too fast fast idle, help please

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pyromanic

pyromanic

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 482 posts
  • Central Oregon

Posted 12 March 2005 - 09:21 PM

My 85 NA EA82 seems to run and drive fine......but on cold start up, the fast idle is way too fast. I hav'nt let it run by itself long enough to find out if it steps down on it's own, cause it's too fast, always slap the accelerator, then it steps down fine.

What different kinds of things might be causing this?

Thanks

Pyro

#2 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 12 March 2005 - 11:56 PM

mine does the same thing. what I ended up doin is letting it run on high idle for only a few seconds and then step it down and let it dead idle.

#3 ausubaru92

ausubaru92

Turbo Talker

• Members
  • 583 posts
  • Bowraville NSW Australia

Posted 13 March 2005 - 05:17 AM

mine does that to, and i also press the accelerator to drop it down, i think it is supposed to do this, something to do with the low emissions warm up i guess

#4 85Sub4WD

85Sub4WD

EA82 Junkie

• Members
  • 1,244 posts
  • Raleigh NC/Charlotte NC

Posted 13 March 2005 - 07:40 AM

mine does that to, and i also press the accelerator to drop it down, i think it is supposed to do this, something to do with the low emissions warm up i guess

you are right that it is supposed to have the high high-idle start-up, and that you have to depress the accelerator durring warm-up - it is written on a label on the driver's side door - the reason is that the Y-pipe will overheat if it is left at that high idle to warm up

#5 pyromanic

pyromanic

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 482 posts
  • Central Oregon

Posted 13 March 2005 - 09:01 AM

you are right that it is supposed to have the high high-idle start-up, and that you have to depress the accelerator durring warm-up - it is written on a label on the driver's side door - the reason is that the Y-pipe will overheat if it is left at that high idle to warm up

Well, uh, thats----------thats inconvienient.

I'm new to Soobs, sort of, and the further I get into them, the more shall we say...idiosynchrosies, (sp) I find.

Mechanically speaking, these cars are somewhat odd.

It's as though Fuji's engeneers were quite adept at "thinking outside the box" it seems.

Oh well. Keeps things interesting.

Pyro

#6 dragonwingsubaru

dragonwingsubaru

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 512 posts
  • englewood

Posted 13 March 2005 - 09:28 AM

my high idle is the same way as well, my high idle speed is somewhere around 1800 rpm, and this really seems to stay the same no matter what you set the idle at, my slow idle is set all the way down to 500rpm now and it didnt change the high idle at all, and i let mine warm up on high idle on the really cold days for a cpl of minutes before i idle it down

#7 BCSubguy

BCSubguy

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • British Columbia Canada

Posted 16 March 2005 - 11:17 AM

My '92 Loyale had similar probs. When it was younger it would rev. to approx. 2000rpm. after 7mins. it would kick down. Recently it wouldn't kick down automatically. I cleaned air control valve rump roast'ly and replaced the coolant temp. sensor. Now she's back to normal...2000rpm on cold start-kicks down after 7mins. to 700. The bad news was no subs. in my area junkers had em. I had to buy new .(dealer $100.00 Cdn.)

good luck.

My 85 NA EA82 seems to run and drive fine......but on cold start up, the fast idle is way too fast. I hav'nt let it run by itself long enough to find out if it steps down on it's own, cause it's too fast, always slap the accelerator, then it steps down fine.

What different kinds of things might be causing this?

Thanks

Pyro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users