Ultimate Subaru Message Board

im wondering if having a bad ignition coil could cause the car to burn oil, and what are the symtoms for having a bad coil? my car burns like a half quart a wk depending on how much i drive but theres no oil puddles and no smoke out the tailpipe i fixed my crankshaft seal, pcv valve ,plugs wires etc .when i drive the car normal i press the gas and the car wont go and then all the sudden it kicks in .it seems like it happens more on acceleration going up hills does anyone have ideas 4 me does this sound like a bad coil

A bad ignition coil would not cause your oil consumption. A misfire, hard starting and fouled plugs are symptoms of a faulty coil. There are simple tests you can do at home to check your coils and plug wires using a volt meter (see a Haynes Subaru Manual). Some autoparts stores will test them for free if you bring it in to them.

The piston rings or valve seals will deal with the oil problem. You could try changing the PCV valve again to see if that helps.

The misfire could be due to a bad plugwire or plug. If you have a throttle position sensor then check that for a dirty contact wiper. I doubt that the coil is causing these problems.