Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 spd d/r tranny question

ok im having some probs getting the linkage piece off of it to put a new gasket in it since its leaking badly. if im not making sense about what im refering to im talking about the piece on the tranny that the 4wd shifter bolts up to. for the life of me i cant seem to get that spring pin out of the piece on the tranny to remove it to get another gasket for it. anybody know how the hell you are supposed to get it out with the wonderous amount of free space we have in out engine bay??? also anybody know a part # on that gasket or exactly what the name of it is?

from my trials and tribulations with ea82 5 speeds, they ARE 100x easier to work on with it outside the car. or even drop the crossmember and let the tranny sag down. thats like 8 bolts you gotta take out. 4 out of the driveshaft at the carrier bearign and then 2 or 4 for hte tranny mounts.

The piece you are talking aobut is right next to the tranny dipstick correct?

If its leaking there, I think you cracked your tranny. These trannys dont usually leak oil from anywhere except for the rear main seal and the front diff seals.

yeah its the piece right next to the dipstick.

i dont think its cracked im kinda thinking its because the tranny was probably never in 4wd for years and then sat for almost a year before i bought it and then once i got it going i have put it in 4wd many times with offroading and whatnot. i could be wrong but im pretty sure its not cracked

k I just went out and checked on mine. that spring pin in mine looks like the axle spring pin. try usin a 3/16" roll pin punch and punch it out from back forward. there should be enough room to get a small hammer down in there.

I'd soak it with some deep creep first, get things lubed up and broke loose and it should come right out

You may know this already, but in case y ou don't thought I'd mention that gaskets are real easy to make.

I buy ready made whenever possible of course, but in a pinch, buy a sheet of gasket materieal (it comes in rolls, should be able to buy as much as y ou want) lay it over the surface to be sealed, take the flat of a ball peen hammer and tap around both the inside and outside sharp edges, then use the ball to tap around the edges of the bolt holes. It takes a little practice, but I've been doing this since I was a kid, it works and makes almost perfect gaskets once you get the knack.

I ALWAYS carry a small roll of gasket material and sealer (permatex or RV silicone) in my toolbox in all my rigs, just in case.

Obviously it's easyier to just buy a gasket, but sometimes they are not availiable, or when your in the field, it's a good trick to know.

Good luck and hope this helps

Pyro

hey pyro where would you find that gasket stuff, that sounds like some good stuff to have in a pinch.

84 gl ill let you know how much trouble i have finding the gasket, ill give you a part # when i find it and let you know where i got it. yeah you will want to get it before it gets as bad as mine, mine is pretty much soaking the side of the tranny and also soaking the cat

hey pyro where would you find that gasket stuff, that sounds like some good stuff to have in a pinch.

84 gl ill let you know how much trouble i have finding the gasket, ill give you a part # when i find it and let you know where i got it. yeah you will want to get it before it gets as bad as mine, mine is pretty much soaking the side of the tranny and also soaking the cat

I really think most parts houses have roles of the stuff in different thickneses and compositions for different applications. I keep both the papery/cardboard looking stuff as well as neoprene on hand. Try napa, bet they have both.

Pyro

well i got the spring pin out today but couldnt seem to get that connection piece off, after fighting with it for a while i just said screw it and put the stuff back together

and for those guys wanting a part# i called every atuo parts place in the area and they all said dealer only,

i think when i go to my storage area tomorrow im gonna get my package of orings and see if i can find 1 that will fit well and see if i can stretch it over the other pieces to maybe mostly seal the leak

yes you will have to convert the console. You might be able to get away with leavin the hand brake where it is, but I'm 90% sure the d/r linkage on a EA81 differs from an EA82. I think there maybe a little bit of cuttin involved.

yes you will have to convert the console. You might be able to get away with leavin the hand brake where it is, but I'm 90% sure the d/r linkage on a EA81 differs from an EA82. I think there maybe a little bit of cuttin involved.

Cool, you don't happen to know where I could find pics of the differences in that area would you? I want to compare because i want to do the 5 speed D/R swap, but I already have my console set how I want it with my driving lights switch mounted in the console. Thanks.

ill snap a pic of my console in the mornign tomorrow. my soob is still 100% stock so you will see how it looked from the factory. i would say if you want it to look better i would get the console cover from your donor car, although i imagine you could cut out you original 1 if you didnt wanna get the 1 from the donor

hey torxxx did you find out any part # or an oring that would fit that spot yet?