Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just bought a 2001 2.5l outback and I need to do an oil change. I know nothing about this car and don't have the owners manual yet. Where is the oil filter located? Do you access it from the top or the bottom? As simple as this question is it will be a huge help to me.

Thanks,

Kowgirl

PS Just got under there and figured this out. Thanks for the help, the screws were all gunked up with salt etc and kept spinning until someone could hold them from the top side. All set!:banghead:www.kowgirlkamp.com

Just under the engine right up front. Its pointing straight down so its pretty easy, if you want you can punch a hole in it to drain the oil out befor unscrewing it, makes it a little eaesier. Anyway oilchanges tend to be pretty easy on these cars, I often don't even bother jacking it up. Good luck and enjoy your new car.

as you slide under the front of the car, you'll notice 3 plastic screws and a rubber flapped handle. Remove those screws and mollys and pull out toward the front of the car and you'll get much easier access to the oil filter, and you won't have all the old oil sitting on that shroud burning off for the next month or so...

Just a tip from a fellow owner of an 01 OBW. That removable shroud was the greatest thing since my 94 S10 pickup, that had the oil filter directly over the main front frame rail. I positioned my drainpan accordingly, and no oil in the pan... ($*@(#*!!) it had all drained out beyond the frame rail... When I removed the oil filter, low and behold, a plastic cup with a diverter that wouldn't allow the oil to get all over the frame... Only changed the oil on that once anyway... Sold it shortly after I found out that the rear springs were collapsed...

I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but are you sure you know what you are doing?

I only ask 'cause I figured you would have looked around a bit for it on the engine before you asked a question like that. Anyway...

Make sure you drain the oil and not the tranny fluid, as both have drain plugs.

Good luck and have fun with it!

I think you can download or look at the owner's manual from the mysubaru part of Subaru's homepage. It's good to sign up anyway, and it's free.

Tiny