Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RallyCross woes.

s'ko

Not sure if this goes here but I just got the rules for RallyX for the California Rally Series.

So they only have 6 classes Rally 4wd, Rally 2wd, Street Mod 4wd, Street Mod 2wd, Street Stock 4wd, Street Stock 2wd.

So if I wanted to compete, my BRAT would fall under Street stock 4wd. Same class as a stock Sti running "street" tires. hmmm.... how much of a chance do I have. About as much as a snowball in hell?

So what tips do you have for a rallyX first timer?? Should I keep it in low range?

BW

Go out and Have fun.....Thats the most important thing....

You'll be surprized at how well you might do.....

One of the Major things to remember is if you have a Tendancey to play hard and drift alot while out in the woods....Your way ahead of the game compared to most rally Crossers.....

They are pavement pounders 99% of the time....the only time they get Wild and Crazy with their car is on rally Day.....:)

I managed to get a First place win in Open class against WRX's STi's and Other High end Cars With my Little ole EA-82 Turbo RX sedan....and Let me tell you I had some severe Issues with the car that day..... :eek:

But I was out to have fun, and Not win, and Ended up there anyway.....

Good Luck, John

yeah, It's a lot easier to pound a 1982 BRAT that's paid off and already has a clicking pass side axle and other issues. Than a brand new shiny still being paid for WRX :brow:

Guess I will bring the usual off road spare parts and wail.

RallyX is March 26th. That's my birthday present from my wife. (letting me go) I wish she would let me compete in the series but that's still negotiable.

Would it be detrimental if I were to install a lift and run swampers? I still want to wheel this car too.

Not sure if this goes here but I just got the rules for RallyX for the California Rally Series.

So they only have 6 classes Rally 4wd' date=' Rally 2wd, Street Mod 4wd, Street Mod 2wd, Street Stock 4wd, Street Stock 2wd.

So if I wanted to compete, my BRAT would fall under Street stock 4wd. Same class as a stock Sti running "street" tires. hmmm.... how much of a chance do I have. About as much as a snowball in hell?

So what tips do you have for a rallyX first timer?? Should I keep it in low range?

BW[/quote']

S'ko, you have an OBS, why would you worry about running the brat? Your OBS should be on pretty level playing ground.

I did manage to pull 6th in my hatch in open class when I entered it. The imp L is much harder to beat.

(mudrat also entered a built ea82 t when he pulled the win in open) *see with a broken rear suspension :lol:

hehe that's another story.

I have two accidents and one ticket and since I have to have full coverage on the OBS, it costs me $250. per month to insure. So the OBS sits as a temporary storage bin. I will resurrect it this summer when the ticket and the accidents drop off. Hopefully that will lower my insurance to about 150 per month.

Oh it's also not registered.

So I am stuck with the brat for now.

yeah and the OBS would kick butt. especially with the larger anti-sway bar I have in the rear.

Only thing BUILT that first Run Was my Exhaust......And the fact I was running a 3:90 trans instead of the factory 3:70

Motor was 100 % stock....... :-\

If you Lift your ride They won't let you run it at all.....

If you cut the fenders to allow the Swampers, and No lift you could then run, but it will be a completely different car from running 13's.....

Have fun, John

Rallycross tends to be pretty smooth (unless is at Pacific Raceways last summer where I was rolling helmet sized rocks across the bottom of my RX :-\ ), I’m not sure a lift and swampers are the best choice. For me, getting the car to rotate in the sharp turns was the biggest challenge, I found myself working the throttle and yelling out loud “ turn you b*tch, turn”. :-p Launch at 4000rpm and if you don’t run passed redline try 2ed gear Lo.

And like Mudrat said, its a lot more driver than car.

Good luck, its great fun

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

wooo hoooo .. it's this weekend!!!!!!!!!!

I have to mount some lights b/c the RallyX starts at 4:00. Depending on the number of cars, it could go well into 9:00 pm. Going to bring a barb-q and cook dinner. Spend some quality time with the wife while we wait. Who knows maybe I can convince her to go on a run as a passenger.

BW

Quick question on lift.

They won't let you race with a lift kit? any and all classes? open class?

What's the difference between, say Zap's OBS with forester struts (different length?), and another Sube with stock struts, but with the addition of a spacer between the strut top and body(to get that extra 1-2 inches)?

So, for my SS, I am thinking of just using strut extensions all around, NO body lift. If they allow coil overs, and different struts, would the rules care if you put a spacer between the original strut and body, as typical in lift kits?

thanks, PK

p.s. Do I need to join SCCA to get a rule book, or is it avail online?

it is available online and S'ko just to warn ya that I heard this from a guy that used to live down there that was at the rallyX up here this last weekend that they usualy run on gravel and also is usualy a industrial waste area so be careful for the LARGE propane tanks and hiway cains

it's alot different up here they usualy try to stay away from places like that

as for the rulebook you can find it here: http://www.scca.com/_filelibrary/File/2005rallycrossrules.pdf it is a PDF so have the correct software to view it