Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all - I'm a new member here. I have rather large problems with my 2001 Outback Ltd. I've browsed all through the forums and around the net, so I know of the problems with the headgasket, etc.

My car is a 2001 Outback Ltd (with the 2.5 L H4 engine). It has around 29,000 miles on it. I purchased the car new and am the primary driver of the car.

The first problem is that after the car is driven, there is always a burning smell from under the hood, no matter the weather or the season.

As well, the car overheats (temp gauge goes way above normal, sometimes into the red) when it is driven in the summer (but never in the winter) and consumes coolant (I have to refill the overflow coolant area on about a monthly basis).

This car has been into the Subaru dealer three times over these problems...... The dealer has replaced the coolant, the thermostat, thermostat gasket and always puts in that "cooling system conditioner" related to the headgasket recall (which seems more like stop leak to me.

The dealer has put in dye, and supposedly checked for leaks and done a pressure test to check for the failing headgasket. The dealer always says nothing is wrong with the car. When pressed the service manager says"well if there is a problem, I'm not sure what I would do to fix it"

I checked for coolant leaks with a blacklight myself and found one at the radiatior hose junction on the top of the engine and tightened the clamp.

However, the car still smells like burning everytime it is driven and consumes coolant ... but since it's cold out here (Boston / Southern NH area) it doesn't overheat when driven now but likely will when it gets warmer.

I have filed a case with Subaru of America and they say nothing can be done since the dealer claims "nothing is wrong with the car" and any smells there might be are normal... I've never ever driven a car before that when I park it in my garage makes it smell like burning.

I'm not sure what to do.. does anybody here have any suggestions of a good Subaru dealer or independent mechanic in the Southern New Hampshire or Northern Boston suburb area who might be able to diagnose what is going on with the car?

Or has anybody experienced similar problems with their Outback and found a solution???

I love the car other than these problems... drives great on the highway and in the winter and is comfortable, but I can't deal with the possibility of engine failure due to overheating when I drive it in the summer.

Any comments welcome

Thanks!!!

Hi all - I'm a new member here. I have rather large problems with my 2001 Outback Ltd. I've browsed all through the forums and around the net, so I know of the problems with the headgasket, etc.

My car is a 2001 Outback Ltd (with the 2.5 L H4 engine). It has around 29,000 miles on it. I purchased the car new and am the primary driver of the car.

The first problem is that after the car is driven, there is always a burning smell from under the hood, no matter the weather or the season.

As well, the car overheats (temp gauge goes way above normal, sometimes into the red) when it is driven in the summer (but never in the winter) and consumes coolant (I have to refill the overflow coolant area on about a monthly basis).

This car has been into the Subaru dealer three times over these problems...... The dealer has replaced the coolant, the thermostat, thermostat gasket and always puts in that "cooling system conditioner" related to the headgasket recall (which seems more like stop leak to me.

The dealer has put in dye, and supposedly checked for leaks and done a pressure test to check for the failing headgasket. The dealer always says nothing is wrong with the car. When pressed the service manager says"well if there is a problem, I'm not sure what I would do to fix it"

I checked for coolant leaks with a blacklight myself and found one at the radiatior hose junction on the top of the engine and tightened the clamp.

However, the car still smells like burning everytime it is driven and consumes coolant ... but since it's cold out here (Boston / Southern NH area) it doesn't overheat when driven now but likely will when it gets warmer.

I have filed a case with Subaru of America and they say nothing can be done since the dealer claims "nothing is wrong with the car" and any smells there might be are normal... I've never ever driven a car before that when I park it in my garage makes it smell like burning.

I'm not sure what to do.. does anybody here have any suggestions of a good Subaru dealer or independent mechanic in the Southern New Hampshire or Northern Boston suburb area who might be able to diagnose what is going on with the car?

Or has anybody experienced similar problems with their Outback and found a solution???

I love the car other than these problems... drives great on the highway and in the winter and is comfortable, but I can't deal with the possibility of engine failure due to overheating when I drive it in the summer.

Any comments welcome

Thanks!!!

I think I would document all the "service" you have received from the dealer & contact S.O.A. & ask them if they would be so kind as to recommend someone competent... maybe the field rep would contact you with advice...

Your Subaru is still a warrantied vehicle & IF the problem is currently minor it will escalate to costing them large dollar amounts. It's in their best interest.

Later,

Peter

Also Click & Clack of Car Talk fame (PBS radio) has recommended mechanics on their web site but whether authorized Subaru... I'd doubt it.

If you haven't had a block check done yet to check for hydrocarbons in the coolant I would have that done first. A bad head gasket would explain the disappearing coolant and the overheating problems. There may be a problem with the intake manifold leaking also.

Having a partially blocked radiator would cause the overheating so I would check the cooling area with an infrared thermometer to see if there are any cool spots.

I would check the exhaust system areas to see if you can find something that may be burning on it causing the smell.

personally i would go to another dealer... sounds like you got an HG pushing compression into the cooling system which thus pushes coolant out of the overflow tank.. this may only happen when at cruising rpm's 3000 or so..

do a test at home.. get someone to hold the rpm's at about 3000 or so and you wahtch the overflow tank and see if it starts to fill up or leak.. if thats the case thats your smell..

it may not do it if its just sitting there idleing.. if its a tiny HG issue it may take it a good 10-15 min at those rpm's to do it as well..