Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question with the ea71 80' Brat

Ok I have been out of it for awhile now,

My problems started when I wasted my last tranny. I paid a guy (that used to be on the board but no longer) 100.00 to help me change my trans, I lacked the knowlege, we put it in with a new used trans , and a new clutch but kepted the old fly wheel, which was dammaged. Then I was able to drive it to Vancouver where I live now. There I pulled it into the garage and took out the engine. After replacing the fly wheel and breaking a bolt off in the thing.

In the newer fly wheel (it is fixed now) It has taken over a year to put thee engine back in the hole. (lazy for the most part).

Now that it is back in, it starts and runs for the most part fine.

EXCEPT: my gas peddel feels real soft like I have no resistance. and I cannnot rev the car either. the idel stays at 2K rpm only.

Did I forget something? did I do something wrong? Any Idea's?

AND I am unable to shift it into any gear. without the grind it too you find it thing. I have the new clutch tighted almost all the way on the adjust. Why can't I shift this?

Any help on either of these would be most helpful, Thanks.

Brad:-\ :confused:

Ok I have been out of it for awhile now,

My problems started when I wasted my last tranny. I paid a guy (that used to be on the board but no longer) 100.00 to help me change my trans, I lacked the knowlege, we put it in with a new used trans , and a new clutch but kepted the old fly wheel, which was dammaged. Then I was able to drive it to Vancouver where I live now. There I pulled it into the garage and took out the engine. After replacing the fly wheel and breaking a bolt off in the thing.

In the newer fly wheel (it is fixed now) It has taken over a year to put thee engine back in the hole. (lazy for the most part).

Now that it is back in, it starts and runs for the most part fine.

EXCEPT: my gas peddel feels real soft like I have no resistance. and I cannnot rev the car either. the idel stays at 2K rpm only.

Did I forget something? did I do something wrong? Any Idea's?

AND I am unable to shift it into any gear. without the grind it too you find it thing. I have the new clutch tighted almost all the way on the adjust. Why can't I shift this?

Any help on either of these would be most helpful, Thanks.

Brad:-\ :confused:

sounds like

1 you may have forgoten the return spring on the throtle...

the little nuts on the throtle arnt tight(where the sleave stops near the carb and the cable comes out.

the clutch is not ajusted right...

didnt forget the throw out bearing did you???

Thank you.....Oh my god...................................I can't believe I forgot that.

No wonder why I cant shift.

Now I really feel stupid.

Thanks again Now I know what I have to do .........And will need to find the part.

:banghead:

Brad

Yeah but I'm not the fastest mechanic on the block, I had the engine out for a year and the tranny out for abit too, I'm moving and was trying to get it finnished inless than a month and now the tranny must come out again,...

My head just hurts thinking about it. Oh did I tell you I'm not to knowlegable on this stuff, ......But I sure am getting alot of practice..

Brad

instead of pulling the tranny, pull the motor. Its a lot more simple then pulling the tranny. The first time I pulled the EA71 out of my '79 wagon, it took me and another guy on the board 20 minutes to unhook everything and unbolt it all and pull it out. It was a LOT easier IMO...

and you don't even need a cherry picker. Just get a friend to help you unbolt and unhook everything and then just have him grab one valve cover and you grab the other. Wiggle it around and it'll pop right on out:D

Or if you're REALLY good (like me) you can do it all by yourself:D

Oooooo your buff, I can lift the engine out myself but not gracefuly,

A lot of grunting and swearing is involved. and I have a cherry picker, with a load leveler, but I just go the stupid thing in there and putt everything back together, sat back at my amasment and now have to tear it apart again.

That sucks (I have not been to one wcss yet, or at any meets to show off my rig or anything.) except once with the hatch patrol in the snow, yeah that kicked butt. But now my car is green and mean looking, and it has sat in the garage for a year and a half.