Ultimate Subaru Message Board

axle removal problem

I just finished removing my right axle (87 GL wagon) to do a CV boot rplacement, following the excellent instructions found here. Problem was, I encountered a LOT of resistance in getting the axle out. I was using a gear puller, and noticed the brake rotor starting to deform due to the extreme pressure. It finally took a combination of tightening the puller alternating with whacking the axle stub with a sledge to get it out. Any ideas on why this was so hard to remove, and what should I do to prevent this problem in the future? Thanks!

I just finished removing my right axle (87 GL wagon) to do a CV boot rplacement, following the excellent instructions found here. Problem was, I encountered a LOT of resistance in getting the axle out. I was using a gear puller, and noticed the brake rotor starting to deform due to the extreme pressure. It finally took a combination of tightening the puller alternating with whacking the axle stub with a sledge to get it out. Any ideas on why this was so hard to remove, and what should I do to prevent this problem in the future? Thanks!

Rusty spines?

Pyro