Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Repair shops?

You probably need them, timing belts in general should be replaced every 60000 miles, some times more often depending on how its driven and maintained, and often this important maintenance goes undone, as the car is passed around waiting to fail on someone, of course they could be new too, but unlikely, the only way to tell is to inspect them carefully.

I know of a good Soob mechanic here in Danbury CT....its not a Soob garage but just a little gas station.but the kid Chris who works there is another Soob junkie and really knows his stuff.I dont trust anyone with my car since it is my baby,my love (ranked right below my boyfriend),my life,and did I mention my baby??But I would trust Chris with it for something I wouldnt do myself. Its a small family owned place that is very HONEST!

If you are interested its ..Danbury Gulf Exit 4 (Lake Ave) off 84. Turn right and its right there on the right.

But I agree with others..the more you learn to do yourself the less you have to worry about. As soon as it gets warmer out I am going to tackle timing belts on my 92 EA-82..going to try and do oil pump,water pump,cam seals,valve cover gaskets,all other belts,and a new radiator at the same time. Shouldnt take but a day or two..I know I can do timing belts on my practice motor now in about 15 minutes ..LOL of course there is nothing in the way on that.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who would support an honest and reasonable Sube shop in the Ohio area.

I'm looking at a facility that would be perfect for this kind of operation. It's actually a former 1920's gas station that used to service Model T's!! There are plenty of parts and other resources available through my contacts on this Board, and other automotive people I know around Columbus. I have discussed this idea with one prominent Board member who may be interested in being the "resident mechanic", if I can pull this off.

If any of you want to see this kind of shop open up in the midwest, speak up now.

John

• 10 months later...

Are you referring to the Sube Shop on the Mileground? Heard good things but can't find contact info. Do you know their phone number?

A

These engines are non-interference. Broken timing belt = re time it and put on a new belt, problem solved.

I know of a good Subaru shop in WV, but they're clear up in Morgantown... no help to our buddy in NY though.

That would be (304) 225-7823.

The guy that runs the place is really friendly and knows his Subes. He let me have a dipstick on deposit when my belt broke on the interstate and threw mine to God-knows-where. Deposited $5, got the dipstick, and when I brought back the one from a parts car, he gave me the $5 back. Good guy.