Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Running very rough intermitently--"check engine" lite is back on--help please.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vintagejoe

vintagejoe

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 07:33 AM

'98 Legacy 120 K Has been fine. Here's the chronology
1. Last week the check engine light came on--I added fuel and the lite went away for a few days.
2. 2 days ago the check engine lite came on again--I decided to wait and see if it would go away again. BUT, yesterday--I was on my way to work and after about 20 minutes the engine started running very roughly-to the point I feared I'd have to pull over. So I slowed down and although the CE lite was still on, the engine was okay for rest of trip to work.
3. Last nite, on way back from work, almost the same scenario--I got home.
----------------------
ANY IDEA what might be wrong??
Fuel filter (original)?? Emission? Oxy sensor? Oh no, not the dreaded catalytic converter??
Help Please My most trusted independent mechanic just closed his shop

#2 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,342 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 16 March 2005 - 09:42 AM

You need to check the stored codes in the ECU to help with clues to the problem.

#3 yarikoptic

yarikoptic

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • Newark, NJ

Posted 16 March 2005 - 10:16 AM

There must be an autozone around who will read the codes for you for free. The others will charge

#4 TheBrian

TheBrian

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 270 posts
  • Buffalo

Posted 16 March 2005 - 12:39 PM

Don't forget that Advance Auto Parts offers the same service for free, too. (I mention this because AutoZone has sold me crappy Fenco products too many times. No more Fenco in my car!)

A code scanner retails for $80, so it really makes sense for auto parts stores to make them available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users