Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Idler Pulley?ea82 w/ac and ps

How big is the idler pulley supposed to be? If it is any bigger then the bolt holding it on I guess mine is gone. I was tightening the belt and I could not get it tight enough and then I started to wonder if somehow it had been chaged or something. Any thoughts?

If you bought your belt from NAPA or Carquest, they sold you the wrong belt.

This has happened to me. The one they give you is too long to tension and the next one smaller is WAY to short.

Let me go out to my car and get the # off of my spare...........it's a Gates "Extra Service" belt............no stupid "teeth" on the top or bottom either.

OK, it's a #5735.............this is the "back belt", not the one on the alt.

Factory installed A/C...............

Hope this helps!:)

It is spfi, square compressor and the alt is outboard. (Assuming that means stand alone not built into the engine.) It looks like every other alt i have ever seen if that helps.

Miles was asking which is further from the engine centerline, the compressor or the alternator. If the alternator is further from the centerline (closer to fender) than the A/C compressor, then the A/C is "factory installed" and uses a certain set of parts. If the A/C compressor is outboard of the alternator then it is "dealer installed" and uses its certain set of parts. (Often (always?) the waterpump is different between dealer and factory A/C.)

If you have the pulley and the attaching bolt (I guess the adjustment nut is gone? Or is the bearing separated?); all you will need is a new bearing.

It is a standard industrial bearing..6202 or 6203, I can't remember right now.

Less than $10 anyway.

Also, stupid me, discovered the downside to running w/o the AC belt....

While it does not effect anything, no front defrost. I forgot that that uses the AC! Realized it last night in a blizzard when the CEL came on and the engine was running wierd!

• 2 months later...

Just got around to doing this now that it is hot out! Anyway, I did indeed buy the wrong belt. The AC compres is farthest from center so I assume that is dealer installed. So....what size is the proper ac belt for this. I measured and it looked to be over 44 inches. Please let me know if you know. Thanks.