Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just threw a new set of NGK Laser Platinum plugs and a fuel filter in this past weekend. Instead of getting slightly better gas mileage, it dropped from 25 mpg or so to around 18 mpg with increased sluggishness. Anybody ever get a bad set of plugs from NGK??

10-4. Checked and rechecked physical connections. All lubed up with dielectric grease. Just got new wires within the past year, but will be rechecking them with the multimeter this evening after work.

Resistances should be in the hundredths of an ohm, correct?

I didn't use dielectric grease or check the wires, so mine might be unrelated. I might check tonight if it's not too wet out and I can find my dad's multimeter. Too bad my good one's 90 miles away.

I second the 10-20kOhms motion, especially the "They should all be roughly the same" part.

Been away from the computer for awhile so haven't been able to give an update. Anyways, turns out the problem was in my tires. Had just bought new tires two weeks ago and for some reason three were at 28 and the fourth was at 22. Thought I might have picked up a nail, etc in the lower one over the weekend but couldn't find anything. It was really starting to annoy me since everything checked out ok and it was running fine except for the mileage drop. After airing them back up, I'm back at about 24-25 mpg.

Been away from the computer for awhile so haven't been able to give an update. Anyways, turns out the problem was in my tires. Had just bought new tires two weeks ago and for some reason three were at 28 and the fourth was at 22. Thought I might have picked up a nail, etc in the lower one over the weekend but couldn't find anything. It was really starting to annoy me since everything checked out ok and it was running fine except for the mileage drop. After airing them back up, I'm back at about 24-25 mpg.

Thanks!

Holy crap!!! Your mileage dropped from 24 mpg to 18 just from low tires?! I would expect a little maybe, but yeesh. Maybe I'll try inflating mine a bit more than normal recently and see if that picks up the mileage a bit.