Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No spark, going to tune up, What do you Suggest?

I've been having a mysterious hard starting issue which you can read about here

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31436

If you don't read the thread, basically the car cranks. but won't start sometimes(ussually when hot). If I push start it, or let it sit long enough, it starts everytime.

Well if finally gave up the gost and has been sitting for two days and won't start. I pulled a plug and got no spark. So I figured I'd change as much of the ignition as cost effective and do the cam and crank sensor too.

Aside from plugs and wires, what else do you thing I should change? It's a 95 impreza 1.8 with direct spark ignition.

Thanks guys. I hope I can finally put this mystery to rest.

Samson

I would only replace the normal wear parts if they are due to be replaced and replace other parts after they have been tested bad. What you want to spend some extra money on is a service manual if you haven't got one already. This is the first thing to buy. You will save yourself time and money by having one.

Have you checked for power getting to the ignition area yet? That would be the first step in my book.

By direct spark ignition, do you mean DIS, or distributorless ignition system?

try checking or replacing the ignition amplifier module. this sevice takes the signal from the ecu to fire the coils. its located centrally on the firewall and is flat and somewhat squareish triangle shaped, wide flat plug in with several wires

Thanks Cougar, I have a book, and what ever the stock ignition is is what the car is running, so distributorless is probably more correct.

MilesFox the moduale is something I realy don't want to change($200) unless I have to. I swapped a used one out from another subi for a couple of weeks and still had the same starting issues, so I'm pritty sure it's not the moduale.

Aside from the plugs, wires, and the moduale is there anything else in the ignition that would crap out. I was thinking mabye a new coil, but do coils every really die?

Thanks

Samson