Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No spark

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 fishingsteve

fishingsteve

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Idaho Falls

Posted 30 August 2003 - 09:38 PM

Ok, I hot-wired the fuel pump and still no fire. I'm getting no spark from the coil. I tried 3 different coils (one off my running GL) and no spark. Any ideas? Fusible link and fuses look ok. Does the distributor make the coil fire? Could I have a problem with the pickup on the disty?

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 30 August 2003 - 10:11 PM

Try replacing the disty ignition module with one from your running car. Isn't too hard...

GD

#3 Qman

Qman

Happiness is... no lag!!

• 11,119 posts
  • Sumner

Posted 30 August 2003 - 10:23 PM

Have you verified that the disty is turning? I don't know the history or what caused the current problem. Care to shed some light on this for me.

Qman

#4 fishingsteve

fishingsteve

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Idaho Falls

Posted 30 August 2003 - 10:35 PM

I bought this 88 GL wagon from a guy who had let his kids learn to drive with it. They had a head gasket go out. The dad made a deal with the 18 year old to rebuild it. The kid tore it apart, had the heads machined and checked, and rebuilt it. They were never able to get it to run again.

They left it sit for a few months, then ended up moving. I bought it from them. When I got it home, I found one of the right side cylinders full of antifreeze.

I pulled the engine, replaced the head gasket again and reassembled. I think the antifreeze came in through the intake manifold.

Anyway, I've got it together but, can't get it to fire. I thought it might have been my ECU. I put the ECU from my runner (another 88 GL) and it still won't fire. My runner started up with the ECU from the dead GL.

Hey, General Disorder, how do you change out the ignition module? Is that the wire coming off the disty?

#5 fishingsteve

fishingsteve

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Idaho Falls

Posted 31 August 2003 - 09:19 PM

I swapped distributors with my running car and still no spark. What feeds the coil? Why don't I get a spark? It is probably something really simple. I just can't find it.

HELP:banghead:

#6 Guest_subu luvr_*

Guest_subu luvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2003 - 10:02 PM

is the engine grounded to the body?
is the body cabled to the negative batt post?

just a thought

#7 fishingsteve

fishingsteve

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Idaho Falls

Posted 31 August 2003 - 10:33 PM

I just went out and looked at the battery connections. There is not a ground going from the negative terminal to the body. But, I also looked at the running GL. It doesn't have a direct wire to the body either. There is a ground wire running next to the battery's negative terminal, from the top of the core support to the engine. Should I pursue this further?

#8 Guest_subu luvr_*

Guest_subu luvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2003 - 10:39 PM

gotta have ground

hehe

#9 fishingsteve

fishingsteve

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Idaho Falls

Posted 31 August 2003 - 10:56 PM

Now that i think about it, the engine is grounded at the transmission forward of the starter. Tomorrow I will double check all the ground connections.

#10 CIS Subaru

CIS Subaru

User Awaiting Email Confirmation

• Members
  • 1,992 posts
  • Columbus, OH

Posted 31 August 2003 - 11:41 PM

I just about went crazy trying to figure out my "no spark" condition on my '88 Wagon. I ended up blaming it on a wiring problem and converted my engine to use CIS fuel injection (see link below if interested).

I did learn a little bit about the ignition systems on the SPFI cars, so I'll share with you.

These cars use an optical pickup, crank-angle sensing distributor. The spark advance is controlled by the fuel injection computer. There is a very small igniter module built into the coil mounting bracket.

So, if you're not getting spark, it must be a problem with either the coil, the igniter, the distributor, the computer, or the wires in between them.

I'd suspect the igniter or the coil at this point. You should also check that you have 12V at the + terminal of the coil when the key is on. If not, try jumpering power to it and see if it runs.

#11 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,501 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 01 September 2003 - 12:44 AM

check the timing belt marks, and ign marks.
see if you get spark at the coil

#12 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 01 September 2003 - 01:10 AM

if you arent getting spark out of the coil, and the distributor is turning, then it has to be one of the wires on the distributor. theres like 2or three on one and one or two on the other. if you have them messed up then the coil would never get a signal to fire. they all ground near the starter i think. its gotta be someting stupid, like you said. those spfis are so damn simple.

and the igniter, is sometimes off the bracket and down a wire a few inches, that could be it too. you gotta be able to hotwire the coil right guys?

#13 Qman

Qman

Happiness is... no lag!!

• 11,119 posts
  • Sumner

Posted 01 September 2003 - 02:36 AM

What method did you use to line up the timing belts? Are the marks on the cam gears both up or both down or opposite of eachother?

Qman

#14 fishingsteve

fishingsteve

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Idaho Falls

Posted 01 September 2003 - 09:03 PM

I swapped out the entire coil and ignitor (on the coil bracket) with my runner. Still no go. I must have a broken wire or something.

The timing marks are 180 from each other. I lined up on the center of the three hash marks, positioned left cam at 0 deg., rotated engine one revolution, lined up on the three hash marks again and set the right cam sprocket at 0 deg.

Is there a wiring diagram I can get online? I think I need to ring out a few wires.

#15 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,501 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 02 September 2003 - 02:49 PM

the yellow wires ashould be on the - terminal, and black wire with white stripe, and anything with a red contact will be on the + terminal of the coil

#16 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 02 September 2003 - 05:55 PM

have you used a voltmeter to check for battery voltage on the positive terminal of the coil?

There is a fuse on the fuse panel controling the positive voltage to the coil. Might check that IF you are not getting the battery voltage on the + coil terminal

(I mentioned this is a previous no spark post but it was kind of after the fact)
BTW
The power transistor (amplifier) on the coil bracket is NOT an ignitor (They are found in some distributors and feed info INTO the spark control circuitry, the ignition amplifier - amplifies the signal AFTER the circuitry -whatever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users