Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cruise Control + 2.5L ??

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Distance Commuter

Distance Commuter

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • CT, USA

Posted 17 March 2005 - 05:03 PM

The recent thread re. Cruise Control discussed that the 2.2L has a hard time keeping a steady highway speed on hills.

How about with the 2.5L engine?

#2 mtsmiths

mtsmiths

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,645 posts
  • Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

Posted 17 March 2005 - 05:16 PM

We have a 2.2 and a 2.5, both with AT and cruise control. I find that they shift at almost the same point on the Whitefish grade going home from work in Kalispell.

I can't give you RPM comparisons 'cause the 2.5 is a Brighton. The only place I really notice any difference is in passing.

#3 ingen

ingen

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Dayton, OH

Posted 19 March 2005 - 02:28 PM

I haven't noticed any unecessary amount of shifting in cruise with my 2.5L.

#4 gbhrps

gbhrps

User Awaiting Email Confirmation

• Members
  • 811 posts
  • canada

Posted 20 March 2005 - 08:43 PM

Distance Commuter,

Depending on the car and the motor, every situation will be different when it comes to hill climbing using cruise at the same time. Three of my cars have cruise, but where I live in Southern Ontario, Canada, it is sooooo flat, that the only hills are overpasses on the highways. My wife's Lexus and my 300ZX have enough ponies under the hood, that there usually is no tranny downshifting needed to get up and over. The 02 OBW (auto) will downshift one, and then 2 gears if necessary, just because it just doesn't have enough oomph like the other 2 cars. But in all three cars, as I get into a hill, I add my foot pressure to the accelerator to help the cruise out to the top of the hill and then remove it. It invariably will make the drive much smoother, because it doesn't let the revs drop back too far, causing the downshifts, or make them as abrupt when it does shift down.
Likewise, before I turn the cruise off, I take up the pedal pressure with my foot on the accelerator, then hit the button. You don't get that jerk in the driveline that way. Call me old fashioned, call me anal attentive, but it works for me, and makes my driving experience much more rewarding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users