Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yes, I used to keep a similar chart. I had set to calculate a running average mpg as I added each fill-up to the list. It's a really good way to keep track of your gas mileage and to see if there are any disturbing trends. I haven't looked at my old chart lately, as it is on one of my older computers, but I remember also keeping a notes section to the side so I could note whether it was a city or ross-country tank, or hot or cold, etc. Thanks for sharing your chart, I will have to go look at mine (in Lotus 1-2-3, I believe).

9951gas_mileage-med.JPG

Here's my gas mileage chart as it stands right now. It's easy to do once you have it set up, then it only takes minimal effort to always know your MPG and track changes. Anyone else have something similar?

My mother used to have a notebook in her car to keep track.

I do it every few tanks to see what my mileage is. When I do a lot of highway I will usuly always check it. I get about 24.5MPG in the summer and 22.5MPG in the winter. I hope when I get new plugs, fuel filter, and etc. it will improve slightly since the price for a gallon of gas is insane.

Gas costs the same everywhere in the world. It's a commodity. Europeans just pay about $4.33 in TAX per gallon, presumably for a better society.

I can live without that. Go ANWR!

:-/... I'd like to see $4.33/gal in gas taxes here. Then all the people driving their Dodge Ram 3/4 ton macho trucks to work every day at 15mpg would consider switching to a more reasonable car. Without so many Ford Explorers on the road, it would be safe to drive a 2000lb hatchback. Subaru would bring back the Justy. Hello, 50mpg!

:-/... I'd like to see $4.33/gal in gas taxes here. Then all the people driving their Dodge Ram 3/4 ton macho trucks to work every day at 15mpg would consider switching to a more reasonable car. Without so many Ford Explorers on the road, it would be safe to drive a 2000lb hatchback. Subaru would bring back the Justy. Hello, 50mpg!

Hurrah! I am not alone, this means there are 2 of us against the whole country!

I agree too. Driving is a privilege, not a right. Perhaps by raising gas prices people may begin to realise this.

Hurrah! I am not alone, this means there are 2 of us against the whole country!

What have i started here?

At $8 a gallon you've gotta have a good reason to drive a subaru-23mpg!!!! just about the worst economy car in europe,aside from landcruiser,range rover gas gourmandising. I'm used to a citroen diesel doing 50 mpg+,but i'd still prefer the forester. Why? Built like a sherman,handles like a rally car,will start,won't stop!Crap mileage is a fair tradeoff for all the benefits a subie brings.After all,a 30 year old engine and 4wd are never going to be cheap.Go get an Audi diesel! $4.33 in taxes doesn't make any difference to what people drive. round here[south london suburbs],range rovers and volvo xc 90's are the wheels of delight.At 10mpg for either,you've gotta be pretty hard nosed to drive one,let alone rico.

• 3 weeks later...
What have i started here?

Built like a sherman,handles like a rally car,will start,won't stop!Crap mileage is a fair tradeoff for all the benefits a subie brings.

simple like a sherman yes ....handles like a rally car.........!!! you have never been in a rally car have you........? The Forester is rolly polly !! my outback out handles any forester! get some pbr metal masters brakes .......you'll stop !!!

Back to mileage... coming cross country in the ‘90 2.2 sedan I got around 30mpg when running in the high elevations...Nevada Rt50 with 7000' passes and into Denver with 11,000' passes. Then when I got to the flat lands (Nebraska->east) it went down to about 28mpg. I woulda thought the higher elevations with less oxygen woulda produced the lower mpg. Wrong again! :rolleyes:

Also we paid $2.57 for gas in San Fran, but most was $2.10-ish, 2 weeks ago.

Best I ever got was 28mpg when I took the high road through Yosemite. It was a lazy day and I probably averaged 40mph. When I'm doing 70+ my average is almost always within .5 of 25mpg. I do a lot of miles, and it's currently just under 130k on a '98 2.5RS (in the shop because someone side swiped me). I don't keep a nifty chart. I just keep my gas receipts and write the milage on top of each new receipt and do the math in my head most of the time. Sometimes I use the calc in my phone to get exact #s, but never write them down.

As for a $4 or more in gas tax... DEATH TO ALL DEMOCRATS THAT THINK THIS WAY! A car is a necessity in this life just like food and water. To tax fuel, oil, and other necessities SHOULD BE ILLEGAL! Most taxes are a worthless ways for big brother to line their pockets for other stupid ideas. I pay a water tax… think it gets be BETTER water? NO! My water is over 250ppm borderline UNDRINKABLE! Anyone know where tobacco tax goes? I do. The city I live in has a “main street” that bottle necks down to 1 lane each way for a 2 block stretch and for the past year it takes about 10 minutes to get through those 2 stop lights (I just go 1 block either way and avoid the mess now). I was happy to notice they started working on that section of road a month back. I was not happy when I realized they are digging holes and it appears they are cutting out the previous street parking to put in what look like large planters for trees. I was expecting the morons to eliminate the street parking… but expected to see main street stretched to 2 lanes (each way) all the way through town.

Crap mileage is a fair tradeoff for all the benefits a subie brings.
Heh, same reason SUVs will continue to thrive here.
I woulda thought the higher elevations with less oxygen woulda produced the lower mpg.
Airplanes get better mileage in thinner air due to less drag. Maybe that helped you?

Since someone resurected this thread,

The people with their 35 mpg vehicles despise all Subaru owners the same way some Subaru owners despise the SUV's.

Subaru's are gas hogs. No way around it. No honest environmentalist would ever own one. Ever hear of walking and living in a high density urban environment?

Were all guilty. Don't try to justify you're Subaru.

I'm embarrased to say my Subaru emits about 25 pounds of tail pipe emmsions a day. I know I could do better with a HONDA HYBRID. Hey, let's all junk our 'rus and buy HONDAS!

Since someone resurected this thread,

The people with their 35 mpg vehicles despise all Subaru owners the same way some Subaru owners despise the SUV's.

Subaru's are gas hogs. No way around it. No honest environmentalist would ever own one. Ever hear of walking and living in a high density urban environment?

Were all guilty. Don't try to justify you're Subaru.

I'm embarrased to say my Subaru emits about 25 pounds of tail pipe emmsions a day. I know I could do better with a HONDA HYBRID. Hey, let's all junk our 'rus and buy HONDAS!

If we did that we'd lose about 80 hp which would suck. However Subaru promises hope with their hybrid development scheduled tenatively in 2007...i think. It would be nice if there was a Legacy like the accord hybrid. No 50 MPG with that Accord, but it would save money, lower emissions somewhat, and reduce the amount of petroleum consumed.

And my 2.5L gets 29 mpg with an averge speed of 73 MPH. It was a very pleasant surprise for me.

Question. Where is the fuel filter because Ive been lookin all over for it under the hood. Guess I must have over looked it.

my sister's Honda Accord gets 22.1 mpg, not very well tuned though, and my 87 GL gets 23.442. I think the fact that the older Subarus could run on just 2wd most of the time probably gives them an edge over the newer AWD Subarus. but the old ones are so darn boxy, I guess it's a fair trade-off.

Well once my car hit 250k (about a week ago) the mileage has been on a decline since. It's used a lot btw, Im already over 251k lol. Before tho, I was getting a little more than 25mpg, my last fill gave me about 22. I wasnt too happy about the mileage in the first place, I was considering a honda to go back and forth to school with (I cant part with my subie I luv it) but now...I think it's a for sure. Given this is gonna take me a while since I've been sticking most of my $$ into the gas tank, and prices just went up to $2.25+

Well once my car hit 250k (about a week ago) the mileage has been on a decline since. It's used a lot btw, Im already over 251k lol. Before tho, I was getting a little more than 25mpg, my last fill gave me about 22. I wasnt too happy about the mileage in the first place, I was considering a honda to go back and forth to school with (I cant part with my subie I luv it) but now...I think it's a for sure. Given this is gonna take me a while since I've been sticking most of my $$ into the gas tank, and prices just went up to $2.25+

I feel your pain. Penn State is 3.5 hours from here. However if youre looking for a fuel efficient car, my sister drives a Corolla and gets 31 mpg. However the 1.8L engine lacks punch.

[

simple like a sherman yes ....handles like a rally car.........!!! you have never been in a rally car have you........? The Forester is rolly polly !! my outback out handles any forester! get some pbr metal masters brakes .......you'll stop !!![/

Are we talking about the same car? Looks like engines aren't the only difference between UK and US foresters.UK models are taut,responsive, and a blast to drive,if a tad underpowered.But extra horses are easy,eh? We get the fun and you get the donut wagon. Why do subaru need 2 in their range?