Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing Belt and distributor woes!!!!!!!

Alright , Im doing the t belt and i notice the lft(driver) cam sproket mark is 180 degrees from the top. The 3 marks are lined up in the bell housing but the mark is 180 Degrees, whats up with that?

I also noticed that the t belt cover is burnt thru where it looks like the previous owners thru the T belt while xriving.

The right side is good. So when I but the t belts in I rotate the sprocket to aloign the marks., out it all back together and it runs like absolute caca!

I tear it down again and put the sprocket were it was before, 180degrees from the mark and put it all back together.

Starts up good but drives like someones choking the car and pings like a bitch.

I try to adjust the timing as it sit @ 18 BTC and I cant rotate it any more cause Im hitting the stops on the dist.

I check to make sure the rotor @ 1 cylinder is a TDC and the pointer line up with the 0 on the flywheel and its nowhere near it.

So I rotate the crank 360 and check to see if iyt libnes up , nope.

I look in my haaynes manual and where the lines @ 0 degrees sits the rotor sits @ #1 ccylinder , if it where a OHV engine.My car is a OHC.

So this is what I think and tell me how to fix it please.....

I think some yahoo mech put the car together for the prevbiose owners like it was an OHV engine , hence the wrong #1 cylinder position.

But how do I set TDC for my OHC so as to bpull the dist. and set it in correctly and then go back and rotatew the cam sprocket 180deg. so thats correct?

HELP>>>>>>>>>>>>>:madder:

Guest subu luvr

center of the three marks on the flywheel, and one cam mark will be up, and one will be down....

i found the tensioner on the drivers side is on the wrong side of the belt, and will throw the cam off by one tooth once properly tensioned...

cannot remember which direction to set it off by, but its one tooth

worth of belt slack...

might be the problem

Ok I feel like a complete stressed out idoit!

The Dist is good , I mis read the timong marks, Dumb me.

So the camshaft sprocket is supose to be 1 up and 1 down when you open up the Tbelt for the 1st time.

And then before you but it back to gether you rotate the sprockets so the marks lign up on bolth of them ?

Guest subu luvr

one up and one down...

its just that the belt tensioner will getcha on the drivers side.

you will see what i mean, they should have put the tensioner on the slack side of the belt

You should replace the timing belts as a pair.

If you haven't messed with the distributor, you don't need to worry about finding TDC of the compression stroke.

You might find the job easier if you use a dab of white paint or white-out to mark the flywheel. Mark the ignition timing as well as the camshaft timing.

Line up with the center of the 3 marks on the flywheel. Line up the timing hole on left camshaft sprocket (the one with the timing belt closest to the block) with the notch at top of timing belt rear cover, and install belt and tensioner.

Turn engine clockwise through several revolutions (an even count), and re-check mark alignment. Correct if necessary. If you pass the flywheel marks, DO NOT back up. Instead, just continue turning the engine another two turns.

Turn engine an odd number of revolutions and stop with the center of the 3 flywheel marks lined up. The side just done will now have the sprocket mark lining up with the notch at the bottom of the cover. Line up the camshaft sprocket hole of the side not yet done with the top notch of its rear timing belt cover.

Install belt and tensioner. Turn engine through several revolutions (even count, again), and re-check mark alignment for the side just done. Correct if necessary.

The camshaft timing marks are aligned correctly when one side's mark is down while the other side's mark is up.