Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru sound system?

Hello, are there only two speakers in a 84 Brat GL?

only the drivers side door one works in mine. so, if there are more than just the two in the doors, they aren't working

Also, what is their power? (it says "8W" but 8 watts doesn't seem right)

i've got an 86 hatch and it has speakers in the dash. One is between the air con. vents, this one is thin. Then there is the one to the far left under the vent.

For what it's worth.

The dashes due seem to vary quite a bit.

Sat night.

Jay

From my experience with car speakers, and other audio systems, it's very typical for stock stereo systems to be very low in wattage, the speakers may look beefy, but they're probably really only 8 watts. One thing that really determands the truth about the wattage is the size of the voice coil, and the size of the wires going from the terminals to the speaker cone. The bigger they are, in theory is the more power they handle, and it's usally the case. From my little experience with looking at the speakers in most of the subaru's austin has had, and the ones I've seen at PAP, They are generally very low powered speakers. Unless they're not stock speakers. Hope this information was helpful.:-) I'll take a look at a brat, and see if theres any other speakers in them besides the door speaker, but I think gravelRX

awnsered your question as to if theres any other speakers.

Old school subaru stereo wiring can be crazy.

Anyhow, you may have two dash speakers, and two door speakers. The dash ones with good wires, won't sound bad even if they're getting 40w peak. I put old 5" subaru speakers in the rear wells of my hatch, and I'm running them with two front door 4x10" speakers (kenwood three way) and they all sound good on my 40wx4 deck. But higher quality will do you better. If you're dash speakers are like mine (which are disconnected) like 3x6" or something, then you'd best keep them, cause I don't think you can find manufacturers making them.

It's hard to replace any of the factory speakers without mods. The two dash speakers are two different shapes. But with some plumbers strap and removal of some foam 4 1/2 inch speakers will fit... Got some in my Brat. The doors are 5" speakers and not many MFG's make those. With a small spacer you can get 5 1/4's to fit. If you wanna go 6 1/2 you need a slightly more ugly 1 inch spacer.

If you do change any of your speakers at the very least run new ground wire if not new speaker wire. The stock Sube uses a common ground and none of the new decks or speakers are designed for that and will either make them sound like crap of just won't work.

I think in brats the door speakers were the optional ones.. but may have been the dash..

Mike