Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi, I'm courious if anyone can shead some light on my flahing 'check engine' light. Sometimes it's solid and just yesterday it went off for the whole day. The car has a real low idle and rocks at a stop light. I just recently had the head gasket and the ignition coil and plugs and wires replaced but the light came back on. The dealership will check it again at $70 and tell me what else they can do for several hundred more $. They think it might be bad or bent valves and said that would run about $1800.

I'm mechanically inclined and wonder if there is anything I can try first. And, if it comes to it, I also wonder if I can take the head off myself and send it to a shop to have the valves replaced, then put it back on myself.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom

Hi, I'm courious if anyone can shead some light on my flahing 'check engine' light. Sometimes it's solid and just yesterday it went off for the whole day. The car has a real low idle and rocks at a stop light. I just recently had the head gasket and the ignition coil and plugs and wires replaced but the light came back on. The dealership will check it again at $70 and tell me what else they can do for several hundred more $. They think it might be bad or bent valves and said that would run about $1800.

I'm mechanically inclined and wonder if there is anything I can try first. And, if it comes to it, I also wonder if I can take the head off myself and send it to a shop to have the valves replaced, then put it back on myself.

Thanks, Tom

Get the code pulled for free at Autozone...see what it says.

My suggestion is to get a haynes manual if you intend to remove the head. It's not too difficult, but a bit time consuming (or so the manual claims - I';ve never done it myself). You'll definitely need to bring it to a shop to have it worked on though.

I'd certainly run through your options a bit mroe first though. PLus provide some more info. What model, year, engine, etc. Plus a more detailed history of the problem (i.e. when did it start, gradual/sudden, etc).

Here in New England (especialy in a NE city like Portland, ME) there are GREAT indpendant Subaru mechanics!! Save your self some dough and hit there for your repairs. My '98 Legacy L wagon EJ22 with 144k on the clock idled like $&* for a long time. I just sucked a 1/3 of a can of Seafoam through one of the vacuum lines and it idles like a NEW CAR NOW!!!

Wow... I am having the same problems with my 98 outback. I have change the plugs , wires, coil pack, fuel inj.@ 4, egr, egr solenoid, clean out throttle body, clean vaccum line (by the way looked 5 times worse than my old roommate b*ng pipe) and put in a new MAF. I am stumped. I keep getting the same code that I have a misfire @ cyl 4 and now is flashing constantly. Hope someone has some insight>

Thanks, Tom

A "leak down test" performed by a skilled mechanic might give you some insight into the problem before you open the engine. I would do a compression check at the very least. Also, if you have the 2.5 L DOHC, were the valves adjusted when the head gasket was replaced?

Thanks for the response but what is Seafoam and where can I get a can? Sounds like it's worth a try. It doesn't always idle rough just sometimes.

Tom

Here in New England (especialy in a NE city like Portland, ME) there are GREAT indpendant Subaru mechanics!! Save your self some dough and hit there for your repairs. My '98 Legacy L wagon EJ22 with 144k on the clock idled like $&* for a long time. I just sucked a 1/3 of a can of Seafoam through one of the vacuum lines and it idles like a NEW CAR NOW!!!

there are two forms of Seafoam. One is a liquid in a bottle you can get it at any Auto Zone or Advanced Autoparts store. You suck this stuff through one of the vacuum lines on top of your Throdle Body. The other is Called Deep Creep and it is a spray in a can that is sprayed in the TB to clean it out. Directions are on teh back of both. It cleans out carbon deposits, and elts the parts of teh fuel injection work better.

I have a simlar problem. 98 outback. about a year ago it started to shake in drive at lights

mostly when warming up. . I have had it to 3 dealers some just had no idea. one said do a tune up. duuu.... then it started to get worse. the check engine light would come on and blink. then stay on. I went to a dealer once more and the last one said I need valve work. that cylinder #3 had reported a missfire. they did not do a compression test ? so i did one myself and found all cylinders to at 180lbs all fine. How could it be valves if the compression is good? I am stumped. I just changed 02 sensors. and the back Cat. Ignition coil. its very intermitant worse when cold. sometimes it runs great?.

maybe just get a junk yard motor?

Thanks, Tom

I have a 98 outback idles like #$%..to what the hell is seafoam?

As stated above in this thread it is a upper engine and intake system cleaner!! You can get it in Danbury, CT at any Auto Zone or Advanced Autoparts store. It comes in liquid or spray. Check out the web address above and get some the directions on on the back of the can, performs miricles!!