Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello fellow suby owners. Id just like to say Damn I love my Subaru. Okay down to business. I have a 1991 Legacy AWD L sedan. I want to change the engine cuz the miles are gettin up there (306,000) though it still beats ************ Tiburons and Cavalier Z24's fine...lol...Tranny makes noise too, its been said to be a bearing or sumthin, loud whining noise...So im thinkin to change both. What year and model of suby can I get and engine and tranny from that would be compatible with my legacy. For instance, I know a guy who pulled out his 2.5 engine and tranny out of his 1995 impreza and got it all STi'd out. Damn that car is fast. Would his stuff be good in my car?....and whatelse?...years and models....thanks you guys, youre always a help....

Rob

If you're looking for just a direct swap "plug n play" type thing.....the engine should probably be from a 90-94 legacy. Depending on MT or AT, that will have some effect on what is plug n play vs a little swapping of sensors, etc.

Tranny...depending on mt/at, will determine what will work, and what won't.

In all honesty, unless money is no object and you cannot bear to be parted from your beloved subie, you're better off just buying another used one. Find a turbo from the same era. You'll find it much cheaper to try and squeeze some more horsies from that then an engine swap.

CCR makes good rebuilds. Also, i say screw the "plug and play". TURBO

Also TotalJdm.com But an Sti will cost an arm and a leg.

tranny could be fine. the noise may just be the pilot or throw out bearings which can typically make noise. replace them both when you put in a new motor. they are typical replacement parts for a clutch job anyway.

i agree, get another subaru (turbo) unless you're ready to spend serious loot in the interest of higher horsepower.