Ultimate Subaru Message Board

94 svx smokes bad after long hiway drive

I have an oil leak which is dropping onto the exhust manifolds after I shut it down and then it smokes real bad. Or it will do the same thing if I'm waiting in a drive through line after running out on the freeway. I have not fully examined it yet but is there a chronic place subarus leak? Where should I look? Does it sound like a rear seal or valve covers? Can the rear seal be done in the vehicle or does the engine need to be removed? Any advice would be appreciated??

Pat

Just dont put oil in it, it'll stop leaking eventually :rolleyes:

Sorry, had to pick on the noob.

Subaru's leak every where. This could be valve gaskets, or it could be the crank seal, oil pump gasket, cam seals, or the rear main. That one you need to pull the engine to do. Might have to steam clean it to find out where the leak is. If theres more than one area leaking, it might pay to remove the engine and reseal the whole thing. Smart Service is fairly close to you, if you dont want to do the work yourself. And they have a good rep.