Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Driveline squeal/scraping noise

Hey guys,

Got a minor problem (I hope) with my '87 Subaru Standard Hatchback. Whenever the vehicle is moving, I hear a loud intermittent squeal/scraping noise coming from near the firewall under the hood or under the car in that area. It almost sounds like a bearing shrieking. It has progressively gotten louder and more frequent over the past few weeks. It now pretty much makes the noise all the time. It started out only making the noise when the car was in 4WD, but now it does it in 2WD too. I can shut off the engine while the car is rolling and it still makes the noise, so I know it is not from the engine or any engine accessories. I also checked the wheel bearings, which are fine. The sounds gets faster as the speed of the car increases, and doesn't change pitch with the speed of the engine or in different gears. It is steady with the speed of the car. It does it regardless of what gear it is in, also in neutral, and with the clutch pedal in or out. The ONLY gear it does not make the noise in is reverse. Any ideas on what this could be? A bad bearing in the transmission? The car has 147,000 miles on it and the clutch, transmission and everything is original. Thanks for your help.

My daughter has a VW Wagon, it made the same kind of noise comming from around the shifter area. We thought the tranny was going or the clutch was having a problem. The noise went away. Now I am thinking it was a rock stuck in the boot of the split drive shaft. And so at any speed, it would make the squeel until the rock either decintegrated or fell out. Must have been rubbing against the drive shaft. Not that this is your problem, but you might look for something simular.

check your front diff oil, geatr oil it is , dipstick on the top center of the tranny

also look at the driveshaft u joint, my car made a vibrating noise that sometimes would carry over to a whine near the tranny, it would chang4 between 2 and 4wd undill one day it got loud all of a sudden and failed on the highway. i thought the rear diff or axle exploded but the driveshaft u-joint busted, so i kept going till i tied the driveshaft with a coat hanger. got 1000 miles on it like this but im fixing it today

Hey guys,

Checked the gear oil levels and they are all fine. Also checked for anything rubbing on the driveshaft, but found nothing. The sound seems to be coming more from under the hood than under the car, but I guess I could be wrong. It sounds like birds chirping, but like 50 times louder--like a cross between birds chirping and a loud squeal. It's driving me crazy and people look at me when I drive by. Somebody told me that since the noise is consistent with vehicle speed that it would have to be something to do with the output shaft of the trans or the front differential. Any ideas?