Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5-speed in 84 turbo wagon

CHIM

Ok, im sure this has been covered before but i have a few question on the process.

Ok the car is an 84 turbo wagon with auto.

1. Any need to cut out the floor for room for 5 speed?

2. How do you mount the carrier bearing?

3. how do you mount sifting linckage?

4. EA-81 or EA-82 flywheel?, also wich release bearing?

5. EA-81 or EA-82 axles?

6. Wich tranny mount do i use?, Old auto, or 5 speed Stock mount.

7. Is the speedo gearing the same on 5 speed as auto?

Sorry for all the ********************* questions but i am diving into this can VERY soon and don't really wanna do this project blind.

~CHIM~

Get in touch with Bratsrus1, he makes a custom crossmember and shifter linkages which make this much easier, but I can answer a few ?s, Its best to use the EA81 flywheel, as the EA82 has larger bolt holes and won't fit properly, EA82 clutch disc, EA81 pressure plate, EA82 TO bearing, shift linkage mounts to the 5-spd tranny, have to mount the bracket on the hump for the hi-lo shifter, need a manual pedal cluster, manual speedo cable(your auto one is too small), the rear diff in auto cars(and turbos) is 3.70-1, you have to change this to the regular 3.90-1 rear end unless you use a tranny out of a turbo car, you can use the EA82 driveline but it's difficult to mount it perfectly straight, and if it isn't it will vibrate, better off having a custom length one made out of the stock 1-piece, I dont think your turbo axles will fit anything but the turbo tranny, splines are different, you have to use the EA81 axles, the EA82 axles are too long, I'm doing the same conversion to my 84 GL-10 wagon, except I don't have the turbo, I'm about halfway there, it's doable but it takes some work, well worth it though, hope this helps and good luck, Hattori...

I dont understand this buisiness of changing speedo cables. Someone told me i needed to do that when i did the 4 dr swap into my turbo wagon, but the auto one fitted fine. :confused: When you say 'too small' what dimension are you talking about?

Im not saying the auto one will fit the 5dr, cos ive not done that, but i thought the 4dr and 5dr had the same cable??

I dont understand this buisiness of changing speedo cables. Someone told me i needed to do that when i did the 4 dr swap into my turbo wagon, but the auto one fitted fine. :confused: When you say 'too small' what dimension are you talking about?

Im not saying the auto one will fit the 5dr, cos ive not done that, but i thought the 4dr and 5dr had the same cable??

I meant too short, my auto tranny speedo cable was way to short as the speedometer drive for the 3AT is on the top of the tranny, perhaps yours had already been replaced with a manual cable before you switched, was there slack in the cable when you pulled the auto?

The EA81 automatic axles will only fit on the stubs from a non-turbo EA82 tranny. I also suggest getting a 1 peice driveshaft made. I also had to grind a little tab off the tranny so it wouldn't tap the tranny tunnel. If you can, drill the welds off of the 4WD shifter mount inside the car on the donor EA81 and bolt or weld it into your car. I used a glob of JB Weld with two screws through the trans tunnel that are submerged in the crap and while it is holding just fine, if I did it again, I'd use the stock mount. There is some wiring that needs to be done as well. Get in touch with me and I can help you out with that.

I meant too short, my auto tranny speedo cable was way to short as the speedometer drive for the 3AT is on the top of the tranny, perhaps yours had already been replaced with a manual cable before you switched, was there slack in the cable when you pulled the auto?

I was having a look at the cable in mine before, and I think yours is shorter cos its a left drive, compared to my right hand drive. On the rhd the auto one is very slightly longer than the manual one.

I was having a look at the cable in mine before, and I think yours is shorter cos its a left drive, compared to my right hand drive. On the rhd the auto one is very slightly longer than the manual one.

Oh yeah, I never even thought of that, RHD is availiable as an option in the US, but there are very few of them rural newspaper and mail carriers swear by them though, but I have only seen a few of them, I would love to have one though!!