Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil cosumption in 2003 OBW 2.5L

I have a 2003 OBW Limited with a 2.5 engine and 22,000 miles on it. I have been running the car on 5W30 Mobil 1 oil since it's first oil change at 2,000 miles. The car has used a quart of oil every 2500 miles since new. This is my first Subaru and I think this is excessive oil use. The dealer (World Subaru) has told me this is OK and Subaru has not responded to my e-mail for 3 weeks. I would like to know how much oil, if any, do other Subaru owners have to add between oil changes.

I've had five Subarus and the sum total of all oil added between changes over the years and quarter million or so miles is zip, zero, nada.When my '87 needed oil it meant it wash change time anyhow, 'bout 3,000 miles, but that was after it had passed 200,000 miles.

I've owned a 97 OBW and now a 02 OBW and neither one uses a drop of oil between oil changes, which are 6000 km apart here in Canada. Had 138 000 km on the older one, and presently 91 000 km on the 02. I use the same 5W30 you do on both cars. While you are using oil in your OBW, one quart/litre every 2500 miles (3000 km), it doesn't seem excessive to me, and on a two and a half year old car, to have to check the oil every other fill up and top it up a bit, strikes me as cheaper than tracking down where the oil is going (past rings, valve seals) and repairing it. I always carry an extra quart along side the battery just in case. I've never had to use it. You'll have to, but it gives you a reason to get under the hood regularly and check out everything out. Personally, I wouldn't lose any sleep over the issue, considering all of the really expensive things that could go wrong with a car. This is, in my view, just a minor annoyance. This may be not what you want to hear, and its only my 2 cents worth, ... for what that's worth.

one quart/litre every 2500 miles (3000 km), it doesn't seem excessive to me, and on a two and a half year old car, to have to check the oil every other fill up and top it up a bit, strikes me as cheaper than tracking down where the oil is going (past rings, valve seals) and repairing it. I always carry an extra quart along side the battery just in case. I've never had to use it. You'll have to, but it gives you a reason to get under the hood regularly and check out everything out. Personally, I wouldn't lose any sleep over the issue, considering all of the really expensive things that could go wrong with a car. This is, in my view, just a minor annoyance. This may be not what you want to hear, and its only my 2 cents worth, ... for what that's worth.

My $0.02 (US) worth also. On anything but a Subaru this would be commendable. I wouldn't worry, but I WOULD bug SOA to at least respond.

I have a 2003 OBW Limited with a 2.5 engine and 22,000 miles on it. I have been running the car on 5W30 Mobil 1 oil since it's first oil change at 2,000 miles. The car has used a quart of oil every 2500 miles since new. This is my first Subaru and I think this is excessive oil use. The dealer (World Subaru) has told me this is OK and Subaru has not responded to my e-mail for 3 weeks. I would like to know how much oil, if any, do other Subaru owners have to add between oil changes.

As others explained, it is somewhat unusual for subaru, especially fairly new, but apparently within the subaru "tolerance range."

Who knows, maybe the the rings did not set in when you switched to synthetic at 2000 miles. Mobil 1 can increase consumption in some cases. Change oil types and brands and experiment a lot. Try dino 10W30 or even 10W40 and see what happens. Try "high milage" oils. Try AutoRx. Make sure there is no obvious external leak.

Good luck.

My $0.02 (US) worth also. On anything but a Subaru this would be commendable. I wouldn't worry, but I WOULD bug SOA to at least respond.

My main concern with the car using this much oil is warranty. I have 10 months left on it and if there is a serious engine problem I want it covered under warranty. There are no obvious leaks, it doesn't matter what type of driving conditions, city, highway or a mix it is always a quart every 2500 miles. I have changed other vehicles over to Mobil 1 at the first oil change with no problems. The dealer actually installed the Mobil 1 at the first oil change so they didn't see any problem with engine break in. As far as bugging SOA, I sent them an e-mail on 2/2/05. They responded on 2/3/05 and said they had to check with the tech dept. since then no response. I have sent more e-mails asking for an answer. Have you had any experience with SOA? I would like to know how they treat there customers.

My main concern with the car using this much oil is warranty. I have 10 months left on it and if there is a serious engine problem I want it covered under warranty. There are no obvious leaks, it doesn't matter what type of driving conditions, city, highway or a mix it is always a quart every 2500 miles. I have changed other vehicles over to Mobil 1 at the first oil change with no problems. The dealer actually installed the Mobil 1 at the first oil change so they didn't see any problem with engine break in. As far as bugging SOA, I sent them an e-mail on 2/2/05. They responded on 2/3/05 and said they had to check with the tech dept. since then no response. I have sent more e-mails asking for an answer. Have you had any experience with SOA? I would like to know how they treat there customers.

I haven't had any disputes with SOA. I did have a MAJOR one with Chrysler. I got the runaround until I mailed them a real letter, to the corporate headquarters. I described my complaint and general dissatisfaction with the dealer response in the letter, and attached a complete narrative and documented timeline, that noted all visits, responses and lack therof. I also included a cc: to an atty friend on the bottom of the letter.

I got back a letter authorizing me to take the vehicle to any repair facility I chose and send Chrysler the bill.

I think you may have to break out of e-mode and resort to paper to really get their attention.