Ultimate Subaru Message Board

94 battery died, hard to jump, then strange codes

Hi. I have a 94 legacy wagon. It was recently broken into (nothing stolen!) but the battery was drained. (I think cause the robber left the glove-box open) Anyway, it took a long time to turn over when jump-started and it hesitated and sputtered for awhile afterwards. Check-engine light was on. After driving in city traffic for 20min the battery still hadn't charged, so I jumped again and took to the highway for 40min. It seemed to charge OK but still hesitated after a cold start for two days. (I've never had trouble with starting or stalls, even in the coldest of winters) I read the codes and got...12-starter sw. remains open or closed, 15-fuel inj. 2, 21-coolant temp sensor, 24- air control valve, 31-TPS. Whew. And to top it all off, after reading the codes the batt is low again and the starter isn't even cranking. AAAAAAH. Any ideas what happened?

Thanks guys. After some more tedious jump-starts I got it to the store. Dropped in a new batt and it started right up, no more check engine light or hard starts. My theory is that the batt. had an internal short or resistance so even when I was jumped it was keeping the other car from delivering the necessary current. Perhaps the starter drew so much current that the ECU couldn't operate during starting? That would explain why it ran so normally once it was started each time. Strange, though, cause the batt was less than a year old and it was the second batt in 3 yrs. What could be killing the batts?

Once again, thanks to all.

Take your vehicle back to Autozone (or similar) and have them check the alt voltage. maybe it's too high.

In most of Texas, 3-4 years is max lifespan. I wonder if higher than normal temps on the east coast has killed some batts.? I've read that high CCA batts dont like the heat and high reserve capacity (like those for the South) don't tlike th cold - but regardless I hope you got some pro-rated consideration on the warranty - that is VERY short lifespan under any conditions.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan