Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Advancing Ignition Timing...for more HP

Guest Future Subaru Driver 1

Well.. right now i have no clue how my ignition timing is set. as my mechanic set it for me when we first got the car running.

I'm wondering if playing with the timing a little bit is gonna increase the performance a little?

I'm running a custom Cold-Air Intake. And a catless 2 inch exhaust with Magnaflow mufler.

Currently when pulling up to a stoplight, the car will backfire really well.

I'm running Sunoco 94 octane gas religiously.

Turbo is coming..but not until september atleast

Guest NoahDL88

I cant say for a justy what the optimal timing would be but on the EA-82 a degree or two extra, 21-22 adds some pep, and on the EA-81 i would say a degree or two extra would help as long as it dosn't ping. if you have the money get a timing light and the manuel and experiment.

Guest oobnuker

I'll second advancing the timing on an EA82. I have mine at 22 BTDC - but I did have to go up to high octane gas in order for it not to ping. Made a nice difference in power output.

i'm still not positive on the Original Specs.

i know that the Carbed cars are 5 degrees (because i have the FSM beside me)

i'm just to lazy cause it's late to go find the EFI FSM. i have this feeling it's like 8-10.

Since i'm running 94 Octane. Should i just keep advancing until i get some ping? then back it off a couple degrees??

I have no problem running Premium in the thing, as once i turbo it i'm gonna have to anyways.

Guest thealleyboy

In the old days, you could advance it to the point of "pinging", as described above, then adjust carb etc. Degrees of advance varied quite a bit, depending on many factors.

But on the computer controlled models you have to be more careful. The systems are so interrelated that if one thing is off, the computer will attempt to compensate. End result: often times your car will run ****tier than before.

I have found that stock timing/fuel/emissions, set to specs, is the only predictable way to get the best overall performance. Nobody (even the Subaru engineers) are crazy about all the performance- robbing crap that the EPA requires. They have actually done a pretty good job to get the 90HP or so, given how clean the 1.8 runs.

I think that minor tweaks may work (especially an carbed vehicles), but to get the kind of boost most of us want, you gotta hack up the OEM setup. If you go this route, I would advise you to keep the old gear incase you have to go back to stock.

good luck, John

Guest SubieSTORMTROOPER

here's offa an ea81 airplane site. this is what they do for timing:

"For ignition, many have used the stock reluctor electronics. Take it apart and open up the slots in the centrifugal advance mechanism to allow more advance, up to 30 crank degrees (15 at the distributor), this is only to ease starting. Disable the vacuum advance and remove the diaphram. Lock the mechanism inside with a screw so it won't move. Set the timing for 37 degrees BTDC on the flywheel with the advance sprung over by hand to full advance. Should be about 7 degrees static. (No advance). "

l8r...

Guest jcdenton

hey subaru junkie, what kind of gas do you have to use with the 12 degree setting? maybe I could put in a 170 degree thermostat so I could set it to twelve and still use the low octane stuff?

thank you.