Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2.5 head gasket, which side to head and block?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Subarunation 713

Subarunation 713

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 272 posts
  • Bridgman (SW Mich)

Posted 23 March 2005 - 12:24 PM

I tried searching this and didn't have much luck so here is my question. To those who have replaced head gaskets or who know for SURE, which side of the gasket goes toward the block and which side goes towards the head? My gaskets have a 16 stamped on one side of them.

To those who wish to respond with some sort of "helpful" statement like "put them back on the way they came off" or "why didn't you look when you took them off", PLEASE be nice to me! I am already kicking myself for not paying attention! :-)

Thanks for the help,
Greg

#2 tomson1355

tomson1355

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • Upstate

Posted 23 March 2005 - 01:19 PM

Hi Greg,

I don't believe there is an outside and an inside. The two gaskets are identical, but the gasket surfaces are mirror images. Therefore, you'll have one facing one way and one facing the other, relative to the gasket surfaces. I don't think you could have them each have the same side out, for instance, even if you wanted to.

Tom

#3 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,342 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 23 March 2005 - 02:24 PM

I may be thinking of the older style of engines but I think an oil passage got blocked by the gasket if it was reversed. Just make sure no holes get blocked when you install it.

#4 dresch

dresch

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Albany, NY

Posted 23 March 2005 - 03:09 PM

Greg,

No one will give you grief for asking questions here. And so you don't feel silly, I thought it was a good question. I have no idea what the answer is. What I do know is that you should never use tape on a torn gasket and then put it in the engine. The end result isn't pretty. (Wasn't me. It was my husband...aka Mr. Badwrench)

Welcome and good luck.

#5 Subarunation 713

Subarunation 713

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 272 posts
  • Bridgman (SW Mich)

Posted 24 March 2005 - 10:37 AM

Greg,

No one will give you grief for asking questions here. And so you don't feel silly, I thought it was a good question. I have no idea what the answer is. What I do know is that you should never use tape on a torn gasket and then put it in the engine. The end result isn't pretty. (Wasn't me. It was my husband...aka Mr. Badwrench)

Welcome and good luck.

Well Dresch thanks for the support and positive outlook. However I have received such "helpful" information in the past and I wasn't real anxious to get it again.

It frustrates me as I took pictures of everythinng as it came apart and laid everything in the back of the stationwagon in order of it's removal. Never thought to look at the head gaskets though.

Maybe I will break down and call 1st Subaru where I bought the parts.

Thanks for your support,
Greg
aka Mr. Sometimesgoodwrench

#6 krissy00

krissy00

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 09:49 PM

both gaskets are exactly the same just did it to a 98 legacy gt 2.5 liter 123,729 miles on it you can't install them the wrong way I hope they are subaru gaskets

#7 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,058 posts
  • WV

Posted 25 March 2005 - 12:04 AM

i'd be worried about a parts supplier or dealer not knowing that particular head gasket very well. someone needs to know that model fairly well to know those kinds of details about the head gaskets.

most of the time quick/short answers come from questions that are answered over and over again and can easily be answered by doing a search. i've done it before, so i'll appologize. getting "snapped at" is a small price to pay for free advice though not necessary, so just bare with us we have good and bad days too so don't take it personally. i'm not as active here as xt6.net, so im not speaking specifically of the USMB for myself but the same thing applies here. there are some seriously childish forums out there, this one is one of the best. some forums have no knowledge and sound like 8th grade spats on a daily basis.

#8 bearbalu

bearbalu

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 12:53 AM

I did mine a few months ago - 98 obw - I had the same question but the anwer is straighforward - there is only one way they go back - try both ways and you will see that one way, some holes don't line up (probably the oil passages).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users