Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My clutch just went! There was a little pop and then every gear was like neutral. I posted before because I got rooked by a dealership on my subaru 3.0. I need some info on what signs mean what so I have some idea if the new place I try is knowledgable and truthful. And secondly, what is reasonable for clutch work on a 96 legacy outback 2.2 5speed. I appreciate all suggestions and offer my thanks ahead of time.

maybe you broke an axle instead. a clutch will start to go out, not just up and go out. a 2wd if an axle breaks it wont go. set the parking brake and put the car in gear. look under the hood and see if any one of the inner side of the axles are turning. if so that axle is broken

I agree to check the axle. Although I drive an automatic, what you described is what happened to my old nissan. I heard a pop, then I couldn't drive no matter where I had the auto transmission set. Turned out to be my front axle that broke.

I broke the "release fork" and could not get it in to gear. The subi dealer in Charlotte NC said the clutch needed to be replaced. They did the job and when I got the car back, things did not seem right. Engagement would occur at different levels. Ended up replacing the slave cylinder. Seemed to put things in order until the clutch chatter started.

6 mos. later the $1000 clutch job the Subi dealer in Charlotte did, had to be redone. Working with a good independant mechanic in Cincinnati, I found the job the dealer did was crap. The pilot bearing had not been replaced, the fly wheel had not been resurfaced, and one of the clips that hold the throw out bearing to the release fork appeared to be a bent paper clip.

Now the car functions they way it is supposed to.

Find a good independant mechanic, and drive past the dealer accept to buy genuine Subaru parts.

Not sure what year you are dealing with but check to make sure you did not break the Clutch Cable if you have one. I have one on my 85 Gl. We just replaced the Clutch in it and I noticed that my Cable is rusted and looks like it will brake any day now. Maybe not the case but its worth looking at.