Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just got a phone call from my father and he said he just got an ABS light on his 2000 OBW. He said he looked into a new module and it was $900! He’s not sure if the module is bad or just a wheel sensor.

He is a cheap son of a gun, if it's a wheel sensor he will fix it, if it's the module well, that’s more than he will spend. He’s wondering if there are any adverse effects in just pulling out the ABS fuse and going old school? The obvious disadvantage is no ABS but that will be easier for him to swallow than the money. What could no ABS fuse in a 00 hurt if anything? Are there any other systems on that circuit?

Did he go through any deep snow recently?

I got an ABS light on my '97 after parking in / driving through 8-12" of snow. It went away eventually, but it took a day or so, and more than just shutting down the car and starting up again. Just a thought.

Steve

He is a cheap son of a gun, if it's a wheel sensor he will fix it, if it's the module well, that’s more than he will spend. He’s wondering if there are any adverse effects in just pulling out the ABS fuse and going old school?

If he got in an accident (regardless of fault) his insurance could be denied because he disabled a safety feature of the car. Even if braking action wasn't a factor in the crash. How's that for adverse?

One of the posters had a light last week or so. I suggested he drive thru an automatic car wash with the 'undercarraige' option. That cured it (he HAD been driving in deep snow).

Dirty sensor was my first thought. There hasn’t been much snow here lately until 3-6 inches fell last night. When he told me about the light the first thing I had him do was take the car to a car wash, he did, no luck. He took it to the manual wash and gave everything around the backside of the tires a good bath, still no luck.

As far as why he should not disable the ABS…you are preaching to the choir. I’d fix it right, but it’s not me and it’s not my decision. I’m just helping him find out if it will hurt anything with the car if he disables the ABS.