Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2004 Outback - Constant cooling fans cycling on / off

I have a 2004 Outback (2.5) with 7,300 miles on it. From day one whenever I turn on the air conditioner or switch to a defrost setting, the (2) cooling fans under the hood cycle ON for 12 seconds then shut OFF for 12 seconds then come ON again for 12 seconds then shut OFF again for 12 seconds etc. etc.

This cooling fan cycling ON / OFF every 12 seconds will do this every time and will continue to cycle every 12 seconds until the car runs out of gas. It does not matter what the temperature is outside it will cycle like this if it is 95 degrees or 25 degrees outside. When the cycling fans come on my headlights will dim and the tach will increase. I had previously posted this problem here before and someone stated that the freeon may be low and causing this. So I made an appointment with the dealer, took the car in, explained the problem, had them bring the mechanic to experience the problem while I was there, at first the mechanic started to tell me this was normal, then he started telling me how the fans operate depending on outside temperature, I told them it did not matter what temperture it was outside it will cycle every 12 seconds no matter what, I also asked them if the low freeon could be causing the cycling and could they check the level. My final response from the dealer mechanic was that they have no way of checking the freeon level all they can do is re-charge the system and that they can not really even look at this issue unless it is 70 degrees or warmer outside, (today it was 65). They could not tell me if constant cycling every 12 seconds was a problem or not. So I'm going to have to wait until it's 70 degrees out and take it back.

Do all you Outback owners have your cooling fans cycling ON and OFF every

12 seconds with the air conditioner on or on a defrost setting????

Is this normal????

Thanks for any input (sorry message so long)

• 2 weeks later...